I’ve only just discovered that our newsletter subscriptions system has been broken since last January! New customers and anyone signing up to our newsletter since 15th January 2015 were not correctly subscribed to our newsletter. Luckily we have the email addresses in our database, they just weren’t allocated to the correct list. I’ve now fixed this and moved affected email addresses to the correct list. So those affected will now start receiving our newsletters. Hopefully you won’t be too surprised when you start receiving newsletters from us.
You may already be familiar with the Macro Scheduler debugger and know how to set code breakpoints. But did you know you can set variable breakpoints too? With a variable breakpoint you can cause execution to pause when a specified variable becomes equal to a given value.
You will find the “Variable Breakpoints” option under the “Debug” menu in the code editor.
You can set one or more variables and values. Then at any point during execution when one of those conditions occurs the macro will pause and allow you to debug.
This can be very useful when you are not sure where an issue is occurring but you may know that a specific set of data causes a problem that you want to debug.
So it’s Black Friday. Sounds so gloomy. A day where many appear to go mad and gorge.
There’ll be no extra discounts from us today, but what we will do is donate 10% of today’s sales to The Woodland Trust and St Mungo’s charity for the homeless.
So if you buy or upgrade Macro Scheduler today, or renew your maintenance you’ll be planting some much needed trees and providing for people who really need stuff.
In this video I demonstrate how to use IE’s F12 key to invoke Developer Tools and use that to quickly find the elements we’re interested in and the attributes we need to use:
(You might want to click on the video toolbar to select a larger resolution size, view full screen or view on YouTube so that you can see the code).
Macro Scheduler‘s ReadFile and ReadLn functions understand ANSI, UTF8 and Unicode files – as long as they have a valid BOM header. But a client recently needed to read in a file with a missing BOM. So we wrote a little bit of VBScript which reads the binary stream in, and then outputs a UTF8 encoded file.
Here’s the code:
VBSTART Sub UTFConvert(filename) Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") txt = fso.OpenTextFile(filename, 1, False, -1).ReadAll Set stream = CreateObject("ADODB.Stream") stream.Open stream.Type = 2 'text stream.Position = 0 stream.Charset = "utf-8" stream.WriteText txt stream.SaveToFile filename, 2 stream.Close End Sub VBEND //Convert it to UTF8 VBRun>UTFConvert,%SCRIPT_DIR%\data.txt //Now we can read it ReadFile>%SCRIPT_DIR%\data.txt,theFileData