January 11, 2007

Filed under: Vista — Marcus Tettmar @ 2:56 pm

Sometimes Vista appears to lose Aero Glass. Aero Glass is the fancy effect that gives windows a semi-transparent border and adds a certain gloss to the desktop. Purely aesthetic but very pleasing. But very occasionally my screen flickers and then Aero Glass gets disabled. I’m not sure why – my best guess is the memory somehow gets maxed out so Vista downgrades the display. Trouble is it doesn’t come back again automatically. I’ve always had to reboot the machine, which is annoying. But I’ve just discovered this little trick to get it back: Stop and restart the “Desktop Window Manager Session Manager” service using these commands in an elevated DOS prompt:

net stop uxsms
net start uxsms

And back comes the lovely shine! 🙂

7 Comments »

1. Thanks, it was usefull for me 🙂

Comment by DarkJarek — February 2, 2007 @ 9:24 am

2. Very useful thanks!

Comment by shaga — January 19, 2008 @ 6:56 pm

3. Great, it works perfectly.
    I have windows blinds and often vista’s desktop manager died (of course it blamed on windows blinds) and i didn’t know how to restart. Sometimes even a clear restart wouldn’t even work.
    Your suggestion works just fine.

Thanks!

Oscar

Comment by Oscar — January 22, 2009 @ 3:21 pm

4. This is super awesome. I did it on Windows 7. Works perfect. I thought I would need to restart. THANKS!!

Comment by Cesar — May 19, 2009 @ 6:45 am

5. Great, worked perfect!!

Comment by Al — October 29, 2009 @ 1:13 am

6. Awesome. I never had this happen until letting Windows Update install the Platform package on Vista, which I let it do so I can develop for Direct2D. Suddenly it started losing Aero a few times per day. Since I despise rebooting, this saves a lot of hassle. Thanks!

Comment by CodeTech — March 14, 2010 @ 10:08 am

7. Thank you very much!
    Teamviewer always disabled Aero on my Win7x64. This solution worked perfectly for me. I just created batch called “Aero.bat” with those two command inside, and now it’s just one word away.

Comment by Ilya — September 22, 2010 @ 1:05 pm