Issue with Include and Vista

Ideas for new features & functions

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

kpassaur
Automation Wizard

Issue with Include and Vista

Post by kpassaur » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:06 am

I have a script that contains an image only. Nothing else, is in the script. I am including it in another script, and it tries to load ODBC Drivers and then the FTP Window comes up, at which time it generates an error and asks it you want to report it to Microsoft.

Let>APP_TITLE=Setup Parsing

Include>C:\parsetext\images\choices.scp
Include>C:\parsetext\images\PROCESSINGPLEASEWAIT.scp
Include>C:\parsetext\images\constanttitle.scp

**BREAKPOINT**

Now if I remark out the line to the Include constanttitle.scp and import the image into the script it works.

That is issue one.

Issue two is that I have a script (actually a series of them) that work great on XP and Vista that were created in ver 10, I have recompiled them in ver 11, and they work on XP and in Vista they are so slow that you can actually see the Dialog being built one button at a time. This comes from a client, so I have not seen it first hand. Any ideas as to why this would be?

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:06 am

The first issue is the reason for adding an Exit> statement above the binary data - in case the binary data contains something that might be seen as a valid command. One of the lines probably begins with FTP and so triggers an FTP command.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

kpassaur
Automation Wizard

Exit

Post by kpassaur » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:11 am

When testing yesterday, if I put an Exit before it (when using Include), it would not load the image.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:14 am

Yes, I see the conundrum. But I have also just had a eureka-head-slapping-doh! moment. There's a much better solution. Just comment the binary data out:

/*
LABEL:
KJHKHGJHGJHGJHGJG.....
*/

It will still be loaded in the dialog and can still be exported, but by commenting it out it won't get parsed by the script engine.

Doh! I will change the importer to comment the imported data out rather than add an Exit> statement at the top.
Marcus Tettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

kpassaur
Automation Wizard

import image

Post by kpassaur » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:50 pm

That fixed the issue.

Couple of other things. When opening a script, changing how it is compiled and then exiting, it does not always prompt the user to save the file. I have noticed in other cases also I will make a change, exit and later I am making the same change again, so it is not being saved. The only reason it is not being saved as I didn't save it. In other words I forgot to save it as I was not prompted to. Would it be possible to always prompt the user to save the file on exit?

I am concerned about this Vista Issue, any ideas as to why it would be runnning so slow, I was thinking that perhaps it had to do with images from ver 10 that were not imported again. Would that make it come to a crawl?

Ver 11 seems to processes scripts much faster than ver 10 on XP (not Vista see notes above). The same files processed the same way from a compiled ver 10 script to a ver 11 showed a 12.5 percent increase in speed. The sample was 132 files and it dropped the time by 30 seconds to 3.5 minutes instead of four.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:00 pm

Regarding Vista, let me say this: Macro Scheduler 10 and Macro Scheduler 11 were developed on Vista. Our main environments all run Vista. The development environment is Vista and we therefore we test on Vista before anything else. Clearly we haven't seen ANY implications of running on Vista. Frankly it makes no sense that a macro would run slowly just because it is on Vista. I suspect there is something else at play. Feel free to send me your EXE to run here and I'll test on a number of Vista machines. Also, enable logging so that you can monitor the timing between steps - that might give you some clues.

Regarding prompting for save - it should do that IF there's been a change. I'll double check that the flag is being set properly after a compile.[/list]
Marcus Tettmar

kpassaur
Automation Wizard

Vista

Post by kpassaur » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:57 pm

Thanks, for the offer and I may take you up on it. The install is close to 50 meg and has over 20 scripts in it. So, it would take a while. I'll try it on another PC now that the images have been changed. It has to be that - I think, it is the only thing I can think of.

Also, thanks for looking into the save bit.

kpassaur
Automation Wizard

Vista issue

Post by kpassaur » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:33 pm

Marcus,

I sent you a PM with a link to the script for testing. I will post the basic code here as well if someone else wants to give it a try. I have compiled it, and on one Vista PC it takes 3-4 seconds to load and you can see each button being added. On another Vista machine it first took over 15 seconds.

Please note that this was compiled on an XP machine if that makes a difference. When ver 10 of MS was used to compile it, it loaded instantly on Vista and XP.

When compiled with ver 11 it still loads instantly on an XP machine, just not the Vista test machines I have access to.

Code: Select all

// COMPILE_OPTS|C:\parsetext\FilebyOCR.exe|C:\Documents and Settings\Keith Passaur\My Documents\Icons\pdffiler.ico|CONSOLE=0|INCLUDES=1|/NOSYSTRAY /NOSTOPKEY  /LOGFILE=\dev\nul
Let>APP_TITLE=File by OCR
///RegistryWriteKey>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,SOFTWARE,Microsoft,Windows NT,CurrentVersion,Fonts,Gotthard (TrueType),gotthard.ttf
////Compile to c:\parsetext\FilebyOCR
///No System tray, logging, or exit on Shift Ese
//Include>C:\parsetext\images\choices.scp
Let>RP_WAIT=1

Dialog>Dialog1
   Caption=File by OCR
   Width=407
   Height=373
   Top=CENTER
   Left=CENTER
   Max=0
   Min=0
   Close=1
   Resize=0
   Label=g,0,0,true
   Image=LOGOONLY.BMP_DATA,5,10,41,33,msImage1,0
   Label=File by OCR Main Menu,80,16,true
   Label=___________________________________________________________________________________,0,16,true
   Label=____________________________ Setup ____________________________,16,61,true
   Label=_________________________ Program Files _________________________,16,165,true
   Label=___________________________ Support ___________________________,16,241,true
   Label=Copyright© eDocFile Inc. 2004-2008,113,323,true
   Button=Parsing Profile Manager,17,80,185,25,1
   Button=Output Profile Manager,201,80,185,25,3
   Button=Scanning Profile Manager,17,104,185,25,4
   Button=Custom Scanner Settings,201,104,185,25,5
   Button=Setup Retrieval,17,128,185,25,6
   Button=Global Settings,201,128,185,25,7
   Button=Scan a File,16,184,185,25,8
   Button=Retrieve a File,200,184,185,25,9
   Button=Run a Job,16,208,185,25,10
   Button=Run all Jobs,200,208,185,25,11
   Button=Operators Manual,16,259,185,25,12
   Button=Help,200,259,185,25,14
   Button=Contact eDocfile,16,283,185,25,15
   Button=Exit,200,283,185,25,2
EndDialog>Dialog1

SetDialogObjectFont>Dialog1,msLabel1,WebDings,4095,16777215
SetDialogObjectFont>Dialog1,MSLABEL2,Gotthard,12,0,0
SetDialogObjectFont>Dialog1,MSLABEL3,Arial,20,1,255
//SetDialogObjectFont>Dialog1,MSLABEL4,Gotthard,12,2,0
//SetDialogObjectFont>Dialog1,MSLABEL5,Gotthard,12,2,0
//SetDialogObjectFont>Dialog1,MSLABEL6,Gotthard,12,2,0

Label>Mainloop
Show>Dialog1,r
If>r=2,EOF
If>r=1,PM
If>r=3,OPM
If>r=4,SPM
If>r=5,CSS
If>r=6,SFR
If>r=7,GS
If>r=8,SAF
If>r=9,RAF
If>r=10,RAJ
If>r=11,MJ
If>r=12,OM
If>r=14,HP
If>r=15,CEDF
Goto>Mainloop

Label>PM
ChangeDirectory>C:\parsetext\ProfileManager
RunProgram>"Parsing_Profile_Manager.exe"
GoTo>EOF

Label>OPM
ChangeDirectory>C:\parsetext\Outputjobs
RunProgram>"OutputjobSetup.exe"
GoTo>EOF

Label>SPM
ChangeDirectory>C:\parsetext\Scanning
RunProgram>"Scanning Profile Manager.exe"
GoTo>EOF

Label>CSS
RunProgram>"Setup Custom Scanning Settings.exe"
GoTo>EOF

Label>SFR
IfFileExists>C:\parsetext\Retrieval\SR_WK_Retrieval.exe
ChangeDirectory>C:\parsetext\Retrieval
RunProgram>"SR_WK_Retrieval.exe"
Else
MDL>Retrieval was not installed - Run the Install Program
Exit>0
Endif
GoTo>EOF

Label>GS
ChangeDirectory>C:\parsetext
RunProgram>"Advanced Global Settings.exe"
GoTo>EOF

Label>SAF
RunProgram>"Scan A File.exe" /MainMenu=YES
GoTo>EOF

Label>RAF
IfFileExists>C:\parsetext\Retrieval\Simple File Retrieval.exe
ChangeDirectory>C:\parsetext\Retrieval
RunProgram>"Simple File Retrieval.exe"
Else
MDL>Retrieval was not installed - Run the Install Program
Exit>0
Endif
GoTo>EOF

Label>RAJ
RunProgram>"RunfilebyOCR.exe"
GoTo>EOF

Label>MJ
RunProgram>"StartMonitor.exe"
GoTo>EOF

SRT>OM
Executefile>"C:\parsetext\FilebyOCRmanual.pdf"
END>OM

SRT>HP
Executefile>"C:\parsetext\filebyocr.chm"
END>HP

SRT>CEDF
Executefile>"http://www.edocfile.com/contact.htm"
End>CEDF

Label>EOF
Exit>0

Exit>0
LOGOONLY.BMP_DATA:
424D4A0D000000000...snip...

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:54 pm

The issue is the large SetDialogObjectFont line which sets a label to an enormous size - presumably used to set a white background. This seems to slow up the painting of the other objects in Vista - I can only assume it causes excessive repaints - I don't know. I solved this by removing this label and this line and using a white background image instead. It then loads in Vista instantly.
Marcus Tettmar

kpassaur
Automation Wizard

Reference other posts

Post by kpassaur » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:58 pm

Since this method was posted and it worked fine on XP , is there an easy way to put a disclamier on the posts that refer to it. I am thinking of others that will end up with the same issue.

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:19 pm

mtettmar wrote:The issue is the large SetDialogObjectFont line which sets a label to an enormous size - presumably used to set a white background. This seems to slow up the painting of the other objects in Vista - I can only assume it causes excessive repaints - I don't know. I solved this by removing this label and this line and using a white background image instead. It then loads in Vista instantly.
Are you referring to this line?:
  • SetDialogObjectFont>Dialog1,msLabel1,WebDings,4095,16777215
from Help it says:
  • SetDialogObjectFont>Dialog_Name,Object_Name,Font_Name,Font_Size,Font_Style,Font_Color
So that's setting the Font_Size to 4095? That's... mighty large.
kpassaur wrote:Since this method was posted and it worked fine on XP , is there an easy way to put a disclamier on the posts that refer to it. I am thinking of others that will end up with the same issue.
Where was that method posted? Can you post a link to it here... so others won't fall into the same trap?

Thanks for thinking of others kpassaur... have been enjoying all your posting and digging on issues recently. It seems these forums are the best way for us to stay informed on the special cases.
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)

kpassaur
Automation Wizard

Vista

Post by kpassaur » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:50 pm

It came from this posting, maybe another as well

http://www.mjtnet.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... t=webdings

Please let me say that it does work like a charm on XP and I appriecate the posting that was made.

it also it seems to have worked with ver 10 and Vista when compiled.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:00 pm

Please note that 4095 is the largest font size allowed. You only need to use the font size that's required to fill up your dialog. For example the sample dialog box would be filled by a font size of 200.

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:50 am

Hi kpassaur,

Thanks for the link... and thanks to JRL who looks to have come up with the technique.
JRL wrote:Please note that 4095 is the largest font size allowed. You only need to use the font size that's required to fill up your dialog. For example the sample dialog box would be filled by a font size of 200.
Hmm... I wonder if taking down the font size to "just big enough" would make the speed return for kpassaur's V11 compiled script running on Vista? If you try it kpassaur, please let us know the result.

Take care all...
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)

Phil Pendlebury
Automation Wizard

Post by Phil Pendlebury » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:30 am

Just a fyi:

The nice thing with the comment out method is it also enables the whole graphic import to be "folded" which is great when you have an import of 3 - 4,000 lines.

(Yes this could have been done manually with block markers I know).

I have just been through and commented out each individual graphic import.

Nice.

:-)
Phil Pendlebury - Linktree