"IfFileExists" returns true for folders

Ideas for new features & functions

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

durexlw

"IfFileExists" returns true for folders

Post by durexlw » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:56 pm

IfFileExists returns a few results I wouldn't really expect:

Evaluate: "d:" - Return value: True (where "d:" is my secondary drive)
Evaluate: "c:" - Return value: False (where "c:" is my primary drive)
Evaluate: "c:\Temp" - Return value: True (where "c:\Temp" does exist, but it's a folder on my primary drive, not a file)
Evaluate: "c:\Temp\" - Return value: False

Neither of the above are files, and "c:", compared to "d:" is no consistent result. The same goes for "c:\temp" and c:\temp\"

Macro Scheduler: 10.019e

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:06 pm

I think what is happening is:

C:\Temp
Temp exists in c:\ = true - valid path

C:\Temp\
Look for emptystring in C:\Temp - makes no sense = false

But can't explain why you're getting true for "d:". I get false for all my drives include my drive d:. Not sure why you're getting true for d:

You should use IfDirExists for folders.

Will try a few other tests.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

durexlw

Post by durexlw » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:32 pm

mtettmar wrote: You should use IfDirExists for folders.
Thank for the feedback, mtettmar

My point exactly... In this case I have an input box for the user, where he has to select a file. When a valid file is input, stuff happens.
Now, when the user chooses to type in his path, soon as he types for example 'c:\temp" even when he has in mind to type more, the path get's validated.

The point I'm trying to get across is that I expect (maybe wrongly) that IfFileExists should only return 'true' for files, not for folders as well, cause indeed if I wanted to check for a folder, I'd use the IfDirExists as you suggested.

Am I overlooking something when I expect the above? If it's intended that IfFileExists validates files and folders, then why have a function for folders only and not a function for files only?

A suggestion might be to have:
IfDirExists: dirs only
IfPathExists: dirs and files
IfFileExists: files only

Currently I experience a bit of confusion when I read the name "IfFileExists", read in the manual "If filename exists the first statements are executed" and then notice it also works for folders. "IfPathExists" would be a more consistent name with what it really does, imho.
A Function that only checks for the existence of an actual file, excluding folder, would be very nice to have.

Let me know if I'm overlooking something.