Bug? No R-Click after screwup

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

mo
Junior Coder

Bug? No R-Click after screwup

Post by mo » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:37 am

If I run a script and hit a snag where it just stops and I click off everything but the control panel, I loose the ability to right click. I need to shut everything down and start again to regain the r-click.

This is getting to be a problem. Using TextPad to edit the file (I am going through the tutorial script provided on another thread here) and to run the file it hits a snag (apparently finding something wrong with the way I am writing the file name, it stops at F for a file name F:/Program Files/...,
and my syntax highlighter is highlighting the word "Program" so I feel that perhaps MS thinks it should be doing something here.)...anyway, it stops at the SAVE AS dialog box that is brought up and then I must click off that and now the program is freezing Windows when I need to do this. I need to CTRL+ALT+DELETE to end MS.

Similar problems just using the MS Editor, but it did not freeze windows.

OK, FINAL EDIT: I finally got the file to run properly. Of course that does not solve the problem for the next time.
Best Wishes!
mo

Captive
Macro Veteran

Re: Bug? No R-Click after screwup

Post by Captive » Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:59 am

mo wrote:If I run a script and hit a snag where it just stops and I click off everything but the control panel, I loose the ability to right click. I need to shut everything down and start again to regain the r-click.
It sounds like you have a script that issues a RDOWN, but you forgot to make it do the RUP.
RDown presses and holds the right mouse button.
RUp releases the right mouse button.
RClick does both at once, if you just need the down & up to happen in immediate sequence.

mo
Junior Coder

Post by mo » Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:35 am

Not this. The problem with the script was a stray "SetFocus>SaveAs" and a stray filename just laying around at the foot of the page...ok,ok...I'm just learning this stuff!
Best Wishes!
mo

Captive
Macro Veteran

Re: Bug? No R-Click after screwup

Post by Captive » Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:04 pm

mo wrote:... it stops at F for a file name F:/Program Files/...,
and my syntax highlighter is highlighting the word "Program" so I feel that perhaps MS thinks it should be doing something here.
I assume you means F:\Program Files\, not F:/Program Files/.

From your description, perhaps there is a dialog box behind the currently open windows, waiting for your input. I've seen this happen with many programs... a dialog box appears, but you setfocus (manually or automatically) to the main one, and the dialog box is behind these.

Try moving the current windows, resizing them small, etc... to see if there is a dialog box behind.

mo
Junior Coder

Post by mo » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:16 pm

thanks cap, I figure this was due to a couple of scraps of code I left dangling at the bottom of the script... took me most of the night to figure out that this is not something a program like MS can stop if it is being caused by the script...in other words, it's not like other programs where if something goes wrong it's in the program, these things ARE programs that get to cause their own trouble...little slow sometimes.
Best Wishes!
mo