Close Programs

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Close Programs

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:32 am

Hi,
I'm trying to close running programs in the system tray, Win XP. that is, firewall, anti-virus and such like. This is to remove them to stop any possible conflicts with a couple of programs I use that are very memory & CPU instensive.

I looked in the forum. the nearest I got was dragging Control apps into a folder & running them from there. No good, I can't copy the trayshortcuts into a folder. But, I got the shortcuts from their folders in the start menu.

The programs opened, but closing them did not remove them from the system tray, well, 2 were removed, but not the others.

Then I had a macro start enditall (it closes running programs). then I used the RUN "feature" to record mouse moves, that is, as enditall runs, it pops up a window to press a button (it's already selected, all it requires is for enter to be pressed) if I want the program stopped. Then I pressed enter. this happens for about 5 of the programs.

It nearly works, 2 programs remain in the tray.

I also tried to record mouse movements in going to each program in the sys tray in turn and exiting it.
It worked perfectly the first time, but at each boot up the shortcuts are in a different order in the tray. That isn't successfull.

Any ideas please.

lumpy

sorry, forgot to log in

Post by lumpy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:35 am

My apologies, I forgot to log in.

that is my post above,
Close Programs
Thank you.
Have a good day
Ian

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:00 pm

The answer depends on the programs in question. The icons in the system tray are not shortcuts. This is something that most people do not realise. Icons are placed in the system tray by running programs. They are not shortcuts. Most applications that have tray icons are actually hidden applications. Many of these problems will respond to the close down message by ignoring it and instead minimizing and hiding so that when you attempt to close the application it actually minimizes and hides. The only way to remove it completely is either to find it's exit option and simulate the keyboard/mouse events that a user would use to physically exit the application altogether (this ensures it runs it's own close down code) or to find it's process and kill it (could have devastating consequences as the process is not then being allowed to close properly). You could use Microsoft's kill command (from the NT resource kit), or taskkill (XP Pro) or similar (pskill? - http://www.mjtnet.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ght=pskill) to do this.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:33 am

thank you.

I just require to close the programs to avoid conflicting the video editing program.

Outpost Firewall.
NOD32 anti-virus
trojan hunter guard
and such like.

I think I've been given the info in your link.

thank you