another reading text and responding query

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

another reading text and responding query

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:00 pm

- rambling mode on -

at work we use terminal server to connect remotely to a machine that has a database that needs some time consuming amendments. in their wisdom the suppliers of the application that amends the database recently removed the cli option that it had.

so our txt scripts that could just be pasted in don't work anymore :-( instead we have a shiny new gui. yay!

when i have to add an entry to the database i do the following:

1. right click

2. choose add selection and a dialogue box then pops up and has 2 drop down lists and one text box

3. i then have to scroll through the first list box (copy/paste disabled) numerically and alphabetically (theres about 300 to choose from). although i can 'jump' to the start number or letter of each block.

4. repeat step 3. the details are different but the selection method is the same.

5. type in a number to indicate a priority

i've searched and read other posts regarding grabbing text and that some text isn't really text, but a picture.

i'm confident though that the text in the 2 drop down lists is real text as i can copy/paste to/from my pc and the text box in the same window on the remote server.

what i want to be able to do is get the text that is highlighted in the list box sent to the clipboard (which i can't as copy/paste is disabled on the list box) and then do a compare with the contents of a spreadsheet, and if the 2 don't match then down arrow to the next text in the list and try again.

i was able to do a very rough test using klepto but ocr seems a very rough way to do it.

is there anyway to do this just using macro scheduler? if it helps, the list boxe's always appear at the same location on the screen and the first list text is 6 characters max and the second list text is 14 characters max.

thanks for reading this far. - rambling mode off -

deskmonkey.

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:18 pm

Your bottom line need:
what i want to be able to do is get the text that is highlighted in the list box sent to the clipboard (which i can't as copy/paste is disabled on the list box
Macro Scheduler can only perform same Keystrokes and Mouse Movements that you can do at the console. If copy/paste is disabled, then this does not look possible with Macro Scheduler alone.

You may have to get more creative, do some type of image capture of that list box area, and process through some type of OCR analysis.

If this is an HTML page, it may be possible to open the source code and capture the value from there. May need a good Text Editor like TextPad to do Search with Regular Expressions

Note: Would be good to use a name on the forum vs. Guest, so we have an accurate trail of who is making entries here.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!