Macro in command line does not exist

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

bernie
Junior Coder

Macro in command line does not exist

Post by bernie » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:37 pm

I have a macro that runs fine if I open Msched [7.1.15 on XP/Pro]. I did
a "desktop shortcut" for it... But now when I click on the desktop shortcut I get "Macro in command line does not exist". I have another, similar, shortcut on my desktop and it runs fine and I've compared the 'properties' for the two shortcuts and they appear identical, except for the macro name on the command line.

The "command" is:
FULLPATH\msched.exe Login

and the "start in" is
FULLPATH

[where FULLPATH is the usual: c:\program files..etc]

What is the "does not exist" error message telling me? As I say, I can see the "Login.scp" file in my macro directory along with my other .scp files, and when I open msched, the macro is listed right where it belongs and if I do a 'run' from there it is all perfect.

Thanks!
/Bernie\

bernie
Junior Coder

Re: Macro in command line does not exist

Post by bernie » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:10 pm

bernie wrote:I have a macro that ...when I click on the desktop shortcut I get "Macro in command line does not exist". ...
I have discovered more about what is happening here. The macro is somehow "local" to the particular instance of msched -- I discovered this because I logged off and logged back on and discovered that the macro in question didn't show up in the list in msched any more. So I recreated the macro [clicked on 'New", then cut-and-paste the macro body into the new macro and saved it] -- after which the macro was in *THAT* instance of msched just fine, but if I exit and restart msched, it disappears again.

So I now understand the error: for some reason, that macro isnt "existing"... but I'm not sure why not... I'm creating it in the ordinary way and the instance of msched I create it in knows about the macro perfectly... BUT: it seems that the definition is not sticking.

This is on XP/Pro from a limited account: could it possibly be that msched needs write access to some file it doesn't have apprpriate permission to and that might give rise to this sort of behavior?

/b\
/Bernie\

bernie
Junior Coder

Re: Macro in command line does not exist

Post by bernie » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:34 pm

bernie wrote:
bernie wrote:I have a macro that ...when I click on the desktop shortcut I get "Macro in command line does not exist". ...
I have discovered more about what is happening here. The macro is somehow "local" to the particular instance of msched ...

/b\
More tests and info: I tried creating another macro. The ".scp" file gets created in the appropriate directory and THAT instance of msched "knows" about the new macro. But if I exit/restart msched it disappears.

I'm sure it is a protection problem: my limited account does *NOT* have write permission to C:\ [as, indeed, it should not], and I bet that msched has some config files it stashes in c:\program files...\ that it needs to rerwrite to 'really' create a macro.

I'm pretty conservative about this kind of thing, so what I need is which specific files in the msched directory I need to give my account write access to [I'd prefer not to have to give my account write access on the entire directory].

It looks to me like: groups.dat, groups.ini, macros.dat. any others I ought to unprotect?

/Bernie\
/Bernie\