Erratic behaviour

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Rob

Erratic behaviour

Post by Rob » Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:56 am

I have been using Macro Scheduler for some years now and have been using it mainly for small automation tasks.
Recently, I have started to use for automating software testing. I am starting to wonder if it is as stable as it could be. Macros that work one minute fail with error messages the next. These are the same macros running the same code on the same software etc. I have tried it on various machines but always the same erratic behaviour.
I am running Win XP Pro - one on a Dell 2.5GHz, the other on a Sony VAIO.
Anyone any ideas? If it carries on like this, I'll have to start looking for a different product....
Regards, Rob

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:27 pm

Hi Rob....

Just some comments about my experiences with Macro Scheduler.
I also have been using it for many years, and have seen it operating on different environments and operating systems. But one thing I have found can make a big difference, and that is the use of the WAIT> command.

I have found that if I add Wait> commands, or make the existing ones longer, some intermittent issues go away.

This has been most noticeable after the PRESS/RELEASE ALT/CTRL keys. I know decimal values can be used, but I generally use the value of 1 or 2. Of course if speed is a big issue, then using smaller decimal values may be more important to you.

Another area is that has had an impact is the SK_DELAY variable. The default is 0, but I have made it a habit with all my macros that use SEND> commands to start with a value of 2. I know in one instance I had to kick it up to 10.
=======================

I suspect that these work because systems will have different race conditions at times. Even the same machine will perform differently, never mind moving the same macro to a different system.

Hope this helps..........good luck,
Bob

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:57 pm

Bob,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes I have also been doing all the actions re WAIT>'s and SK_DELAY's also.
The problem in this particular case seems to be with the MACRO> command. i.e. calling one macro from another. The called macro executes perfectly every time on it's own - but not when called from another. Sometimes it works, sometime not.
I'll investigate further, but I don't have too much time to spend on this - maybe I'll get Visual Test....

Lumumba

Post by Lumumba » Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:31 am

I've replaced the wait>command with the more reliable WPC> method to trigger applications/windows. Especially if windows couldn't be catched, based on the variable performance of the system.

Code: Select all

Let>wpcc=0

Label>StayTuned
Add>wpcc,1
WaitPixelColor>255,652,355,1
If>WPC_RESULT<>255,StayTuned

Label>GoOn
TimeStamp>c:\temp\mylogfile.txt,- %wpcc% sec. need to get it !
ExecuteFile>c:\temp\mylogfile.txt