WIN 2000 logoff schedules and mapping

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

WIN 2000 logoff schedules and mapping

Post by Bob Hansen » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:11 pm

I had a macro that was being run manually by operator at end of day. Was asked to put it on a schedule. Used Macro Scheduler, but then realized that operator would be logged out of network so MS would not run. Used Windows Scheduler to call Macro Scheduler and start script and log it accordingly. Checking results the next day, realized that some routines did not run properly. They were using mapped drives that don't exist because no one was logged on. Was not a problem when doing manually.

This is a on a Windows 2000 system, in a Windows NT network.

Are there any WIN 2K/NT login/logout and/or mapping commands I can use in the macro once the Windows Scheduler has started?
Is there a 3rd party utility that woudl take care of this?

I would probably end the macro with ShutDownWindows>2 command to return to normal status at scheduled time.

My current workaround is a Macro Scheduler macro that makes a pcAnyWhere connection from my machine, logs in to the @K system, runs a Macro Scheduler script on the remote system, waits 60 minutes for processing time, then logs off the remote system, and disconnects pcAnyWhere.

I also found that when using pcAnyWhere I can't use any WaitWindow> types of commands in my local machine scripts with MS because the local system doesn't recognize the remote windows. So I have to use Mouse Movements to perform actions on the remote system ....GRRRRR! And I can't continue to tie up my system to do this.

Plus I have to estimate Time Durations because I cannot use WaitWindowClosed> commands. Thinking now of modifying the remote scripts to ftp a status file and modify my local scripts to look for that file on the ftp site to know the status of remote progress..... GRRRR again.
================================
I am rambling, sorry about that. Again to summarize my need:

This is a on a Windows 2000 system, in a Windows NT network.

Are there any WIN 2K/NT login/logout and/or mapping commands I can use in the macro once the Windows Scheduler has started?
Is there a 3rd party utility that woudl take care of this?

Any workaround you can suggest will be appreciated.
Thanks for listening.......

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:45 am

Hi,

The only way you can get a mapping to work when the machine is switched off is to make the share a "null session share".

Normally a share expects user logon credentials which aren't there when the machine is logged out and therefore will not allow a connection unless your user logs in.

However, if you make the share a null session share it will not care about logon credentials and will therefore allow a connection when the machine is logged out. A trade off of course is security - anyone will be able to connect to the share.

Making a share a null session share requires modifying the registry. I need to dig out the key to modify, so let me know if you need it and I'll dig out the details.

You might find it is safer, cheaper and simpler to have Macro Scheduler running on a machine that is left logged on and put that machine in a securely locked room!
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestions......

I had not heard of a "null share" before. And although it might be good to know, don't bother to make the extra effort to get the registry keys. I don't want to give up the security.

Keeping a system logged in is also not an option that will be available, but thanks for putting these on the table. The great thing about brainstorming is that all ideas are visible for consideration, all have equal opportunity.

Will have to keep looking for the right solution. Other ideas out there? :?: