compiled executables temporary directory problem

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Chaoticz

compiled executables temporary directory problem

Post by Chaoticz » Thu May 29, 2003 4:18 pm

I am using the "at" windows scheduler to run some compiled executables. The problem is that running the executables this way will sometimes give me errors like:

The exception unknown software exception (0x0eedfade) occured in the application at location 0x77eab2f0.

and

Exception EFCreateError in module startng.exe at 001C4B9. Cannot create file "c:\DOCUME~1\". The system cannot find the path specified.

or

Exception EFCreateError in module startng.exe at 001C4B9. Cannot create file "c:\DOCUME~1\erosado". The system cannot find the path specified.

Im assuming the way it is getting the temporary directory is somehow getting affected. Any ideas how to get around this?

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Thu May 29, 2003 7:52 pm

Tough to do without more specifics, but can you make the temp directory in the script a variable? If it is really a temp directory,it is probably changing every time you run it.

Then you can get the variable value from a number of methods including, ini files, Ask/Input commands, Looping IfDirExists commands, Call from another macro, etc. You could pipe a FIND and DIR combination and redirect the output to a file and read that to ID the temp dir name.

Just a thought, hope this helps.........
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

crazy

same problem

Post by crazy » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:00 pm

I'm getting identical symptoms running compiled exe's from windows explorer with a double click.
the problem's very erratic, and difficult to reproduce. sometimes it just works fine; it is most frequest after a reboot.

The trouble is this:
when an exe created by Macro Scheduler is run, it creates a .tmp file in the windows temp folder.
occasionally it gets the path to the folder wrong; it is truncated.
failing to create the .tmp file, as the folder name is wrong, it gives the EFCreateError.

Any resolution/wrokaround much appreciated; this is a live app that's giving me these problems.

cbxxx

Lumumba

Post by Lumumba » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:56 pm

"Cannot create file ..."
Do you have write permission to the necessary folders?

Can you check if this won't occur if you start the exe from within a folder with a name not longer then 8 characters ...