Triggering .exe from POP3 email

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

clickfast
Pro Scripter

Triggering .exe from POP3 email

Post by clickfast » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:31 am

Hi again, i am trying to use VISTA windows mail (formerly outlook express) to download POP3 email and based on a variable in the email trigger a compiled macro.

I'm getting stuck at writing the script in MS to download the email and search if for the specific text string... once I get it that far I think I'll be good writing the if/then statements to trigger the appropriate compiled macro.

Here's the script logic

Check email every 5 Minutes...
for each email recieved, search for defined text string then launch appropriate executable
Send Email confirmation to customer
Executable complets
Sends email completion notice to customer

Any help is appreciated... i've spent over a month trying to get it to work... and what I've come up with so far is a macro nightmare ...

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!
Last edited by clickfast on Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snickers
Macro Veteran

Post by Snickers » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:20 am

What type of POP3 account are you using? (yahoo plus mail, cox.net, earthlink, aol, etc....)

My email account is yahoo and they use SSL encryption on the emails; therefore, the program I just finished writing could not use Macro Schedulers RetrievePOP3 command (RetrievePOP3>server,username,password,output_path).

My macro starts MS Outlook, uses a F9 to send recieve, getcolorpixel> to see if there is new, double left clicks the subject line, puts it to clipboard using CTRL-C, uses GetClipboard> command to store it into a variable. If the subject line is one of the many I expect, it sorts the mail and executes the corresponding sub-function; it then drag and drops the email into an email folder so I can later confirm its completion and use as an inventory. If it is not one of my expected subject it drag and drops the email into a folder called UknownSubjects.

You could easily send the customer and email back by having MScheduler right clicking the same spot you took the getpixelcolor> check and mousemoving to Reply. I then suggest moving the window to the 0,0 coordinate so it is always in a known position.

It has to run in the foreground of my computer so I have to dedicate an old system solely for its use....until I find an easier way.

clickfast
Pro Scripter

Post by clickfast » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:18 pm

We have a non-ssl POP3 account hosted on our own server.
Snickers wrote:What type of POP3 account are you using? (yahoo plus mail, cox.net, earthlink, aol, etc....)

My email account is yahoo and they use SSL encryption on the emails; therefore, the program I just finished writing could not use Macro Schedulers RetrievePOP3 command (RetrievePOP3>server,username,password,output_path).

My macro starts MS Outlook, uses a F9 to send recieve, getcolorpixel> to see if there is new, double left clicks the subject line, puts it to clipboard using CTRL-C, uses GetClipboard> command to store it into a variable. If the subject line is one of the many I expect, it sorts the mail and executes the corresponding sub-function; it then drag and drops the email into an email folder so I can later confirm its completion and use as an inventory. If it is not one of my expected subject it drag and drops the email into a folder called UknownSubjects.

You could easily send the customer and email back by having MScheduler right clicking the same spot you took the getpixelcolor> check and mousemoving to Reply. I then suggest moving the window to the 0,0 coordinate so it is always in a known position.

It has to run in the foreground of my computer so I have to dedicate an old system solely for its use....until I find an easier way.

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:48 pm

MacroScheduler's own RetrievePOP3 should work well for this application.

clickfast
Pro Scripter

Post by clickfast » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:06 am

I figured so... just trying to figure out how to code the logic above (from this initial thread post)
Me_again wrote:MacroScheduler's own RetrievePOP3 should work well for this application.