Script will not execute via schedule

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Risetime

Post by Risetime » Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:35 pm

Hi All --

One of our clients is using Macro Scheduler v. 7.1 to automate the generation of some reports.

The script itself works fine when launched manually. However, when we try to schedule the task, it doesn't execute. Macro Scheduler does launch, but it simply shows up minimized on the task bar; the script itself does not actually run.

If we have the task schedule three times in a day, for example, at the end of the day, we'll have three separate instances of Macro Scheduler, all minimized on the task bar.

The client is running Windows 2000 Pro.

Any guesses as to why the scripts aren't running as scheduled?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce Sharp
Risetime Technologies

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:45 pm

Hi,

How are you scheduling the script? Sounds like you're not using Macro Scheduler because you are ending up with multiple copies of Macro Scheduler running. Macro Scheduler's scheduler doesn't do that.

If you are using Macro Scheduler to do the scheduling then tell us what settings you have. If you are using something else to do the scheduling, what are you using, and how have you specified to run the script?
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Risetime

Post by Risetime » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:26 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am using Macro Scheduler's schedule. (I actually tried to use W2K's schedule service to run the script, but since it needs to access the network and interact with the GUI, that will not work.)

If I remember correctly, there is a configuration option within Macro Scheduler to allow multiple instances of the scheduler. That option was enabled. I don't know if that is the default, or if it had been changed by the person who created the script.

Sorry that I can't provide more detail at the moment; this is a client at a remote location, and right now I don't have a copy of the script for review.

regards,
Bruce

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:19 pm

A few more thoughts to consider:

1. It would also be helpful if this script is being logged. You say it is not running, but it may be doins some things and exiting too soon. Looking at the log can also provide more info about what is happening.

2. Also, when scheduled to run, is the system logged in with the security rights to the macro folders?
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!