VB Basics

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

VB Basics

Post by Bob Hansen » Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:15 pm

A question was asked by Bilde about an information source for VB stuff.

You can start at this Microsoft MSDN page:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... sGuide.asp

You will have to drive down through the trees to get examples of functions and samples, but this is a good start point for VB overall.

You can also skip directly to funtions by going through these tree branches:Visual Tools and Languages, Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Basic 6.0, Product Documetation, Reference, Language Reference. This will bring you to the brances for Objects, Properties, Functions, Methods, Events, Statements, Keywords, Constants and Operators. These branches are further exploded alphabetically.

For example to find the Replace function: Expand Funcitions, R. Click on Replace function will be shown with syntax and examples.

The examples are not as simple and concise as Macro Scheduler, but it is a start.

MSDN also has a tutorial at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... Script.asp
(For some unknown(?) reason, you may find that the only browser that will work on MSDN is MSIE).

And Macro Scheduler has a page with a bunch of links to VB resources:
http://www.mjtnet.com/resources.htm

Hope this helps......good luck.
Last edited by Bob Hansen on Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

Bilde
Junior Coder

Post by Bilde » Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:31 pm

now... I don't wanna spoil the secret about who asked the question, but thanks ;)

Bilde
Junior Coder

Post by Bilde » Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:04 pm

Just a simple question:
What is the difference between
"VBscript" and just "Visual Basic" ?

is it like "javascript" and "java" ?

I've noticed, that it's possible to make .vbs files, and run them strait in windows, but I thought VBscript was only for web scripting (like javascript) ?

well... Visual Basic is for programing, but what about VBscript?

Post by Guest » Tue May 13, 2003 6:12 pm

Hello. Does'nt look like anyone answered your question. I've only been learning VBScript over the last couple of weeks, but I think I can answer your question.

First VBScript is a subset of Visual Basic.

Win 98, 2000, XP and NT all come with what is called WSH (Windows Scripting Host). Win95 users can download it free.

WSH allows for multi-language scripting. VBS is one of them, Perl and JS is also allowed. So, you're correct that website developers have primarily been using VBScript; and also System Administrators. And VBS is to Visual Basic as JS is to Java.

But you anyone who sweats it out over how to utilize scripting language can use VBScript to automate a lot of things within the Windows Environment. It seems that there are quite a few programs now shipping with Scripting interfaces.

:roll: I hope that helps you out a little bit. I know from experience that beginning this stuff is pretty complicated. :roll:

Bilde
Junior Coder

Post by Bilde » Tue May 13, 2003 7:45 pm

Now I just need to find a place to begin :wink: