backup site to local computer using dated folder names

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

biga

backup site to local computer using dated folder names

Post by biga » Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:06 am

Hi,

I don't have much time to learn the scripting language of this program. If it fits my needs, I'm most definately going to go for it then :) However, I need to know something... Here's the problem. If anyone has a code example to do this, I"d be eternally grateful.

i have a website that I want to back up completely every month. I want it to save to a folder named g:\backups in a folder named the website name.. for right now we'll use mySite. I also want those folders to have an extenion with the date it was saved at.

Then next, I want to save only a couple of certain files every week to that backup directory with the same naming scheme.. something like mySite.4.15.03 or something. also there are a lot of file names... so I need to know if wild cards can be used.

Thanks sooo much guys.
-aaron

Lumumba

Post by Lumumba » Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:21 am

Cause GetDate> is based on the regional setting of your box, it could be that a date setting like yy/mm/dd will hinder you to use it, cause the "/" seems to be an illegal character in filenames.

Therefore:

Year>yy
Month>mm
Day>dd
Let>ext=jpg

Run Program>cmd /c md C:\mySite\%mm%.%dd%.%yy% | move C:\FileCollection\*.%ext% C:\mySite\%mm%.%dd%.%yy%

There are several ways to switch the file.ext - stay tuned ...

biga

Post by biga » Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:06 pm

hay thanks for your help so far :) i see how this is helpful somewhat...

however, rmemeber, i'm trying to copy from an ftp down to my HD. so it would be going from ftp://mySite.com to C:\mySite\%mm%.%dd%.%yy%\ ....

and the extension part... do i have to define all the extensions..or could i use wild card for that too?
thanx buddy :)
-aaron

biga

Post by biga » Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:27 pm

after reading some more on the forum... all i can figure.. is there some way to do a "filelist" command on an ftp directory maybe??
-biga

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Sat Apr 19, 2003 7:42 pm

Yes...from the Macro Scheduler Help section:
FTPGetDirList>Server,Username,Password,port,Local_File,Host_File_Spec,Type

This command will connect to the specified FTP server and download a directory listing for the file spec specified.

The directory listing is output to the local text file given in Local_File.

Type can be either D or L, where D obtains a full directory listing, including directories, subdirectories and their contents. L creates a simple file list, containing just filenames matching the file spec.

When the FTP commands are active a small floating window is displayed at the top left of the screen showing the status of the FTP session. To stop the status window appearing set FTP_STATUS to 0 before issuing an FTP command. Set it back to 1 to show the window. The default value for FTP_STATUS is 1.

The result of the FTP operation is stored in FTP_RESULT.

If you are connecting via a proxy server, enter the name or IP address of the proxy server in 'Server', and for 'Username' specify username@remote_server.

By default the timeout for the FTP commands is set to 15 seconds. To change this set the FTP_TIMEOUT variable.

Abbreviation : FGD
See also FTPGetFile, FTPPutFile, FTPDelFile, FTPRenameFile

Example

The following command will retrieve a listing of the entire contents of the server.

FTPGetDirList>ftp.domain.com,anonymous,[email protected],21,c:\temp\readme.txt,*,D
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!