Help with Multi User Script

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Eric D
Junior Coder

Help with Multi User Script

Post by Eric D » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:55 am

I have compiled a script that Launches iexplore.exe with a url parameter that has some variables in it. This script is on a central server and accessed by hundreds of users, possibly simutaneously. Is there any issues I need to be aware of as far as the script being multi user.

thanks,
Eric

//PDF Request
//Author :
//Version :1.0
//Date Created :03/25/2003
//Date Last Modified :03/31/2003

GetClipBoard>LN_NUM
Run Program>C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE "http://antares/creditreport/CreditRepor ... er=%LN_NUM%"

Captive
Macro Veteran

Post by Captive » Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:24 am

Yes, the contents of the clipboard could be changed between the times that the script is launched and the "GetClipBoard" function is executed.

You may want to consider some kind of parameter instead... so they can pass for example: /loannum=92837 to the compiled script instead. That way the instances shouldn't collide with each other.

In this way, your script can read the value of %loannum% instead of attempting to access the clipboard (which may no longer contain the loan number you wanted)

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:44 pm

Hi Eric,

There will be no problems associated with running your compiled script by more than one user. The EXE is run locally on the user's machine - just as any other EXE would be run.

Obviously the clipboard is the user's local clipboard so I don't quite follow why Captive thinks this should be changed.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Eric D
Junior Coder

Post by Eric D » Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:43 pm

Thanks Captive and support...

I do tend to agree that the clipboard will not be affected. However I am using this in a Metaframe environment as well so.... I need to investigate whether the Metaframe server will have separate clipboards for all the users logged into it. In my initial tests the clipboards do not collide.

Eric

Captive
Macro Veteran

Post by Captive » Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:15 pm

D'oh. Posting after midnight *and* while at work = not much thinking done.

Eric D
Junior Coder

Post by Eric D » Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:38 pm

In a metaframe environment each session has its own clipboard. I confirmed this today.

Eric