Need Help For a Disabled Child

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Stevie

Need Help For a Disabled Child

Post by Stevie » Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:07 am

I hope the group can help me with this. I have a child who is disabled and has a very hard time using the keyboard. He loves computer games and also plays a few of those ones online. Latley it has gotten harder for him to use the keyboard. The games he plays has these keys like CTRL+ALT+10.....ect...and some of them have like 30 of these. Becuase of this he gets very frustrated. I was hoping that I could find a program that would let him do it by clicking a button on the desktop with the mouse and send that key to the program that was active. I wanted to have like a bar of buttons with maybe 3 rows and 10 buttons per row that I could label for him. For example " Get Gun" and that would be CTRL+ALT+F1. I have even tried to reconfigure some of the keys for him inside the game but to no avail they where still to hard for him. So I was hopping that this software would help him. Now I'm not very good with computers so if anybody out there could possible help by sending me an example of how to do it with this program or even some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Oh also I have XP on the system.

Lumumba

Post by Lumumba » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:23 am

Hi,
it should be possible to use the MS Office Bar to assign "applications" like scripts (or compiled exe's). So a press on "Get gun" should do the expected:

Bang.scp

Code: Select all

Set Focus>WindowTitleOfTheGame
Press CTRL
Press ALT
Press F1
Release ALT
Release CTRL
There will be definitely a VBScript solution, but this is a quick & dirty one ...

stevie123

Post by stevie123 » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:49 am

I tried it excatly as you wrote it and it didnt send it to the window. Is there an changes that I have to put on the other tabs. Also it did not put any button on the screen for him to push. If anyone is intrested my husband and I would be willing to compinsate anyone that coould hep us with this.

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:09 am

Hi Stevie123,

Lumumba just gave an idea. Please don't take his sample code literally. Most computer games are designed differently than the regular applications as such Office XP. They tend to take over the control of the video and keyboard with maxium CPU priority. Pleaes tell us which game your child is playing. I'm not sure how Macro Scheduler can manipulate games such as Toy Story and Harry Potter.