Several macros

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

SUG

Several macros

Post by SUG » Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:36 pm

Can I keep two or more macros running in the same breath?

If I put a macro for running at, say, all Mondays 8.00 a.m., what happens if I compile it?

Regards

Eric D
Junior Coder

Post by Eric D » Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:31 pm

I have a machine that runs 7 macros at anyone time.

I beleive if you complile your macro it must be launched manully by clicking the exe. You could also schedule a macro at 8:00 monday to fire your compiled exe.

Eric

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:23 pm

Eric D,

With due respect, are you sure multiple Macro scirpts can be run simultaneously? Or just various Macro scripts are run separately and respectively in a different time slot, one after another?

In theory, Macro script is supposed to simulate keystrokes. Theorectically, if multiple scripts are allowed to run simultaneously, it will result into chaos to applications.

Hope Mr Support will pronounce his official clarification soon.

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:33 pm

Hi,

Armstrong, you are correct if the macros are of the GUI automation type you describe and issue keystrokes and mouse events etc. Clearly they would interfere with each other - rather like if two people tried to use the same computer and kept stealing the mouse from each other and trying to type on the same keyboard - chaos!

However, some macros don't do any GUI automation, so wouldn't pose a problem and there is no reason why these can't run at the same time.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Eric D
Junior Coder

Post by Eric D » Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:07 am

support wrote:Hi,

Armstrong, you are correct if the macros are of the GUI automation type you describe and issue keystrokes and mouse events etc. Clearly they would interfere with each other - rather like if two people tried to use the same computer and kept stealing the mouse from each other and trying to type on the same keyboard - chaos!

However, some macros don't do any GUI automation, so wouldn't pose a problem and there is no reason why these can't run at the same time.
You beat me to that one Support...
All of my scripts that run simutaneously are NOT keystoke oriented. They are all command based. Therefore I dont have the issues of competing scripts. They are mostly file cleanup and FTP.

Eric

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:20 am

Hi Support,

Thanks for your rapid reply demystifying the issue.

Hi Eric D,

Thanks for response. After several close calls, I'm now conditioned not to touch my keyboard when a Macro script is running.

Eric D
Junior Coder

Post by Eric D » Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:34 am

armsys wrote:Hi Support,

Thanks for your rapid reply demystifying the issue.

Hi Eric D,

Thanks for response. After several close calls, I'm now conditioned not to touch my keyboard when a Macro script is running.
That is a good idea. We take it one step further. On our dedicated Macro/Script machines we remove the keyboards... :D