Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Issue With Macro Scheduler Pro v7.3.10.4 & Alt+Tab

Post by CyberCitizen » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:29 am

Hello,

I currently have an issue with Macro Scheduler Pro v7.3.10.4

Once completing a macro the system tray icon stop's flashing indicating that the macro has finished/completed.

However when I press Alt+Tab I see the macro scheduler icon with the name Shift+ESC to stop.

Any ideas why this is?

I have tried Shift+ESC yet it is still in the Alt+Tab select menu. The only way I can get rid of it is to close MS & reopen.

However the next time I run a macro its back.

This is very annoying as I will press Alt+Tab to go back to the window I was working on & nothing happens as it is selecting the MS Shift+ESC To Close Program.

If need be I could post some screen shots.
--
CFS | CyberCitizen

"If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked."
White House cybersecurity advisor, Richard Clarke

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:12 am

Hello CyberCitizen,

It has been always like this. Not all users are annoyed.

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Post by CyberCitizen » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:47 pm

armsys wrote:It has been always like this. Not all users are annoyed.
I never had that issue with MS v5.x & v6.x

Only v7.x I am having that issue & I do not understand why as the macro has finished & is no longer running.
--
Michael Allen
NURV | CyberCitizen

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:13 am

Hi Mike,

As a matter of fact, on my notebook, the task menu (Alt+Tab) doesn't show the "Shift+Esc to Stop" (gear) iconn, while a desktop does. Both computers are installed with WinXP Pro. The only difference is a Macro Scheduler script (WindowsStartup.scp) was installed in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. I don't know if it makes a difference.

On the other hand, Mike, in whole galaxy few people would deem it's a missiion-critical matter. Don't you think so?

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Post by CyberCitizen » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:51 pm

armsys wrote:in whole galaxy few people would deem it's a missiion-critical matter. Don't you think so?
I Know It May Not Be Mission Critical, However It Is A Bug In The Program Which I Would Like To See Fixed.

Because After Running One Of My Macros There Is A Requirement That The Macro Send's Alt+Tab To Go Back To The Previous Window. This Is Because It Can Not Be Done By Focus Window Because Of The Program.

However Because The Shift+Esc To Stop Appears Sometimes It Causes Issues With The Macro. Plus Its Really Annoying As I Alt+Tab To View The Last Window I Was In & It Does Nothing Because It Select's The Shift+Esc To Stop Macro (Even Though A Macro Is Not Running).
--
Michael Allen
NURV | CyberCitizen

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:20 am

Hi Mike,

Hope you find the following script useful to your current issue:
Label>LastWindow
GetActiveWindow>Window,X,Y
Pos>Shift+Esc,Window,1,Pos
If>Pos>0
Gosub>AltTab
goto>LastWindow
Endif
Goto>End
SRT>AltTab
Press ALT
Press TAB
Release ALT
Wait>.2
End>AltTab
Label>End

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Post by CyberCitizen » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:54 am

Thank You For Your Script, However It Does Not Do What I Require.

I Would Like To See This Fixed In An Update Of MS.

Its Not An Issue With The PC Setup As I Have Tried It On Other PC's & Have The Same Issue.

Currently Waiting A Response From Support.
FIREFIGHTER

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:28 am

Please add to:
http://www.mjtnet.com/bugtracker/

As far as I can see the application sometimes fails to hide so it's icon appears in the alt-tab list.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Post by CyberCitizen » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:21 am

Here is the problem I am having. The Macro is not running yet it is still appearing in the Alt Tab Menu.

This was not always the case & would like to know when it will be fixed.

I have attempted to register my email with the bug tracker so I can report it, however nothing happens when I submit my details it just reloads the same page.

I also PM'd support about this, however did not receive a reply, hense why I am re-posting in the forum again.
FIREFIGHTER

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:17 am

Hellp CyberCitizen,

Normally it shouldn't happen as 99% Macro Scheduler users should agree. There are literally thousands of permutations of possibilities causing the die-hard MS icon. You have to look up the Windows registry. You have to look up the scan report of HijackThis. You have to monitor the changes in Process Explorer. You have to look up all the security and firewall settings in Windows XP. No joke. That's exactly what I do for my clients. The questions:
1. Is it worthwhile?
2. Do you have the time?
3. Does the icon cause you any harm other than the visual disconfort?

One thing for sure, if you re-install Windows XP and Macro Scheduler afresh, your problem should disappear. Caution: in order to be absolutely clean, you must remove c:\Documents and Settings; c:\program files\Common Files. WARNING: DON'T DO IT. IT WILL DESTROY ALL YOUR VALUABLE DATA.

When compared with other software products such as Symantec Norton Antivirus and Microsoft Business Contact Management (which requires .net and SQL), Macro Scheduler is the least troublesome. The die-hard icon is caused by other poorly behaved processes/drivers/tasks, not Macro Scheduler.

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Post by CyberCitizen » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:54 am

Does the icon cause you any harm other than the visual disconfort?
Yes It Causes Trouble When Obtaining The Data We Use & Then Having To Alt Tab & Paste It Into Another Window, Because Alt Tab Will Do Nothing As It Selects The MS Icon This Makes It Annoying For The Users Of The Program.
One thing for sure, if you re-install Windows XP and Macro Scheduler afresh, your problem should disappear. Caution: in order to be absolutely clean, you must remove c:\Documents and Settings; c:\program files\Common Files. WARNING: DON'T DO IT. IT WILL DESTROY ALL YOUR VALUABLE DATA.
I Dispute This As I Have Installed MS On Seperate PC's Different Win Install's & The Problem Is Still There. It Wasnt On The Earlier Version I Had. I Have Updated & Yet The Problem Is Still There.
The die-hard icon is caused by other poorly behaved processes/drivers/tasks, not Macro Scheduler.
I Would Have To Dispute That As Well Due To The Last Coment. I Have Tried Different PC's, Different Hardware, Different OS & It's Only Started With The Later Versions (v7.*)
FIREFIGHTER

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:18 am

Hello Mike,

Which version of Windows you have trouble with MS? Have you tweaked any Windows Services such as RPC and/or Windows registry? What programs are running concurrently? Especially, what else applications (in addition to MS) are started during Windows bootup? Some startup applications such as Outlook can take a long time to finish, which might leave the die-hard MS icon.

I could only speak of my personal troubleshooting experience. Sorry for my comments not being helpful.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:28 pm

Mike,

This is not a perfect solution but it does the job on my computer.

////Stuff
Goto>exit
////More stuff
Label>exit
WindowAction>0,Macro Scheduler*
Run Program>"C:\Program Files\MJT Net Ltd\Macro Scheduler\msched.exe"
WindowAction>3,Macro Scheduler*

Basically, the last lines of your macro open a second session of Macro Scheduler and shut down the first. The user sees a flash as the original MS window opens then closes. MS is open, although it is a new session. And the Icon is not in the Alt + Tab menu since it went away with closing the first session.

Hope this is helpful,
Dick.

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Post by CyberCitizen » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:44 am

It's An Inprovement, However This Does Not Really Help When I Create Standalone EXE's

Still Waiting A Reply From Support, I Guess I Will Never Get One. Both Regarding The BugTracker & This Issue. Support Have Fixed The Bug Tracker Issue So I Can Now Register & Report This Bug.
armsys wrote:Hello Mike,

Which version of Windows you have trouble with MS? Have you tweaked any Windows Services such as RPC and/or Windows registry? What programs are running concurrently? Especially, what else applications (in addition to MS) are started during Windows bootup? Some startup applications such as Outlook can take a long time to finish, which might leave the die-hard MS icon.
I Have Tried A Brand New Windows XP Install The Only Thing That Was Installed That Was Non Standard Was MS. I Have Also Tried Different PC's Including One With Outlook. Outlook Is Always Running, However It Has No Affect If Outlook Is Open Or Closed.

I Don't Believe It To Be The Script As Its A Simple Script Which Copies Data Into The Clipboard & Save's It As A Variable & Then Pastes It Into Another Program. Then Exit's. It Does Rely On Mouse Moves As It's The Only Way It Can Interface With The Program As The Program It Is Interfacing With Has A Weird Randon Tab Order.
Last edited by CyberCitizen on Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
FIREFIGHTER

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:35 am

This Does Not Really Help When I Create Standalone EXE's
I've not experienced the problem with compiled scripts only when running macros. Also noticed that running a MS exe after running a macro clears the Alt + Tab icon left behind by the macro.

My computer here at home is relatively new and clean. I don't know why Outlook would have any impact on this subject but I've never used it on any computer. Also have never installed any virus detection software. The only software installed on this WinXP Pro SP1 computer is Office 2003, FireFox 1.0, Pegasus Mail and Macro Scheduler. I've only opened Word from the Office suite. Yet I have the problem you descibe with the icon after running a macro.

Dick.
Last edited by JRL on Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.