Multi-Edit 9.0b

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Armstrong

Multi-Edit 9.0b

Post by Armstrong » Sun Dec 08, 2002 10:08 am

Are you using Multi-Edit to produce Macro script files? Would you be very kind enough to show me how to create a Macro Schulder script template and ".scp" file extension definition in Multi-Edit? I'll be very grateful for your help. Thanks.

Armstrong Wong
Hong Kong

Ernest

Post by Ernest » Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:14 pm

Hi,
please check the MSched download section. There you will find the templates for "Ultraedit" and/or "TextPad". Use the Msched commands listed there to create a MultiEdit file.
Download an MultiEdit file for another language from it's page. Create your own by comparing the two ones ...

E.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:18 am

Ernest,

I'm a kindergarten student of Multi-Edit (ME). I used it prmarily for Clipper programming. Thanks for pointing me the starting point. Actually, I don't even know which ME files I should look into.

Thanks a lot.

Armstrong
Hong Kong

Armstrong

Post by Armstrong » Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:27 am

Ernest,

I just figure out how to make it work. Apparently there is no such thiing "download an MultiEdit file..." In any case, I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Armstrong Wong
Hong Kong

Ernest

Post by Ernest » Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:35 pm

Hi Armstrong,
I've found this. It descripes how to do it for PHP!
Date: 01/jun/2000, so maybe something has changed with newer releases ...

Rgds,
Ernest

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.itworks.demon.co.uk/multiedit.html

If your copy of Multi-Edit doesn't have a language selection for PHP it is easy to create one. Basically the syntax is the same as C so you can copy the definition for C.

From the Tools menu, choose Customize. Then choose Languages. Click to select the C language from the list and click on the COPY button. Type in PHP as the language type. Now you can edit the reserved word list if you want. Even if the reserved word list doesn't contain anything you will still get reasonable and useful syntax highlighting showing strings seperated from commands, etc.

Another customization step is to define Filename Extensions. This is done on the Customize menu by choosing the button called Filename Extensions. There you can define the extensions you want such as .php, .php3, .phtml, etc. and associate them with the new language definition, PHP, that you defined in the previous step.

Armstrong

Post by Armstrong » Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:08 am

Ernest,

You're my Macro script teacher. I learn your brilliant script techniques by studying your scripts. Thanks for your very generous contributions to the Macro Scheduler user community.

Multi-Edit, evolved from Brief/dBrief, is probably one of the most powerful program editors. 9.0b, released on Jan 8, 2002, is the latest version. For the time being, the product is by and large supported by users.

More or less, I add Macro script language support into Multi-Edit by trial and error. I type in Macro script commands into 4 lines of Key Words. Now all Macro Scheduler commands can be highlighted with 4 different colors. Now I can identify Macro Scheduler commands easily.

The steps described in http://www.itworks.demon.co.uk/multiedit.html is very similar to my the steps I tried.

Of course, it would be nice to have something like ultraedit.txt to be plugged into Multi-Edit.

Of course, Multi-Eidt is more powerful in a sense it supports debugger, auto syntax check, auto keyword expansion, auto indent, link & compile,...etc. I guess it can't be done by a simple text file plug-in.

Again, thanks a lot.

Regards,
Armstrong
Hong Kong