Uninstall Issue

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

B_SHOE

Uninstall Issue

Post by B_SHOE » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:41 pm

The company I work for is primarily a Microsoft shop. We use Microsoft SQL Server for 70% of our database work as a guess. Anyways, when I bought the new version of Macroscheduler I found that when I uninstalled the old version it removed some or all of my VB Script components from my local machine. I discovered this when I opened up Enterprise Manager and tried to view an ActiveX control on one of my DTS Packages I had built recently. Normally it would list VBScript and JScript as options. But it only gave me the JScript option and of course my code was failing because it was all in VB.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I shooting for the moon? I tested this twice and got the same result. :?

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:18 pm

It should only uninstall what it installed. Therefore if you already had VBScript on your machine the Macro Scheduler uninstaller should not have uninstalled it. I have never seen VBScript fail after uninstalling Macro Scheduler.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

B_SHOE

Uninstall Issue

Post by B_SHOE » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:29 pm

I think we are both right in this case. I noticed that when I go to uninstall a trial version I downloaded that it gives me some warnings that it is going to remove some files, msscript.dll, vbscript.dll, and scrun.dll, from the C:\windows\system32 folder. I am not sure but I think that Enterprise Manager may use a couple of these and therein lies the conflict. It's just interesting that it wouldn't prompt on install vs. uninstall.

mikelottridge

uninstall problem..

Post by mikelottridge » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:54 pm

fyi.. i had the same issue when uninstalling.. some dll's got deleted that shouldn't have. wsh startup scripts no longer worked. i reinstalled demo and it worked again. it did prompt during uninstall but said those dlls weren't used..

Hardware_Tester
Pro Scripter

Post by Hardware_Tester » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:28 pm

I had this problem when updating from Msched 7.2 trial to 7.3 Pro.

*edit* I meant uninstall/install not direct update
Last edited by Hardware_Tester on Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:31 pm

Upgrading doesn't remove anything so I'm not sure why this would happen.

The uninstaller warns before removing system components that were installed (vbscript.dll, scrun.dll) and you are given the opportunity to not remove them. This is standard practice. So, unless I am missing something, nothing is deleted unless you request it. There are no other shared files that are installed or removed.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]