Windows Resolution maters?

General Macro Scheduler discussion

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

macroman
Pro Scripter

Windows Resolution maters?

Post by macroman » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:57 am

Hello, I've been pulling my hair for the past few months using Macro Scheduler... Don't get me wrong, I love your software in every single way, please do not take this thread in the wrong way... I've been formatting, restoring, my laptops, desktops to test my macro's, but it's working 80% of the time for some reason... I tried running the created .exe's and even tried to install Macro Scheduler software on the machine to see if it performs the same way...

First question is...

1. Why does the actual software executing the scripts run more efficiently than the .EXE?

2. Does the screen brightness on Laptops mater when it comes to image recognition?

3. Are there any known bugs for Windows 10 that you can let us know so we can troubleshoot on our own?

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Re: Windows Resolution maters?

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:14 am

1. Why does the actual software executing the scripts run more efficiently than the .EXE?
It shouldn't. Same script engine. Identical.

However, if I have to guess what's happening here, since the .exe is only the script and the software has a whole heap of UI and other gubbins, the .exe may be running a tiny tad (I'm talking nanoseconds) faster. Depending on how your script is written this could make all the difference and when running slower it could be more reliable. If the script isn't intelligently waiting for readiness in key places this could matter. One obvious test of this is to just slow your script down. Add this at the top of the script:

Let>STEP_DELAY=50

This will introduce a 50ms delay between each line of code.

If that makes a difference it would pay to look more closely at the script and process and work out where you need more intelligent dynamic waiting rather than rely on slowing the entire thing down.

This is also likely to explain why reformatting and restoring you laptop has had an effect. The system may have been running slower before and is now faster and the script is now running too fast for the process.
2. Does the screen brightness on Laptops mater when it comes to image recognition?
Nope. Not at all. You could unplug your monitor and it would still work. The settings of the *monitor* itself are irrelevant. But desktop themes etc can be a different matter *if* you are using visual methods for automation. Brightness if you're talking about the monitor's brightness - won't make a jot of difference.
3. Are there any known bugs for Windows 10 that you can let us know so we can troubleshoot on our own?
No, none.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

macroman
Pro Scripter

Re: Windows Resolution maters?

Post by macroman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:37 pm

Thank you Marcus. I will continue to debug and test... One of the thing that I learned recently was that, sometimes my scripts accidentally turn on CAPS for some apparent reason... which cause CTRL + TAB to go nuts... We'll see how things go...