7.2.031 Imports not working correctly

General Macro Scheduler discussion

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

7.2.031 Imports not working correctly

Post by Bob Hansen » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:29 pm

Using 7.2.031, Windows 98ME....Just imported (?) group of macros.

Attempt 1: General folder is highlighted, showing sample macros. Started macro Import. Selected macro source folder. Selected source of macro.dat. Got message that one macro was imported successfully. It is not listed, no new group folder, "imported" macro file not showing.

Atempt 2: Made New Group, assigned folder that would do import from. Highlighted new group folder, tried Import, selected folder, exisiting macros were not listed, looks like nothing to import. Explorer shows that the single macro is still there.

(Suggestion: When doing import, it would be nice to remember the last tree path that was selected. Need to expand trees every time I try to import, and most are sub folders within the same parent branch.. But more important nowis the actual import needs to happen).

Attempt 3: Closed Macro Scheduler. restarted it. New group folder still showing, no macro listed. Highlighted group folder, Tried import, selected source group folder, this time the single macro was showing like in first attempt. Went to select source for macro.dat and the path came up from the beta testing (would have been nice to have the previous selected path). Selected the correct path, got message that macro file was imported. Does not show up in group folder.

But wait!....Just noticed that 2 copies of the macro are listed in All Macros. One of them has "1" added to the title, so these must be the two macros that were imported, but are not coming into the correct folder trees.

Dragged macro from All Macros to NewGroup folder. Deleted both imports from All Macros folder. Found that New Group folder does not have the file that was dragged over (Must have been deleted when I deleted from All Folders...what a dummy-me!). Can see macro and its copy in folder with Explore. Went to do import again.

Attempt 4: Highlighted new group folder. Selected source folder for macro, see both listed there. Selected the original file, not the copy. Selected source of macro.dat, previous correct path was there this time. Got message that 0 files were imported.. Sure enough neither of the imported files are showing in the new group folder, not in the General folder, and not in the All Macros folder. I suspect I will now have to edit the macro.dat file to get this one macro imported? I have many more group folders to do, but cannot do in this manner.

Just used older method of importing macro file, and it worked OK. Selected New group folder. Did File, new macro. Selected Import mactro, selected macro. Came in with "1" appended to the name. Removed the"1" and saved. macro is now in proper folder as desired.

But Last Modified date is today. Since I just imported it as a new macro I guess that is OK, but would like to see last real date of modification which was 8/18/2002. This may be because original source and destination folders were the same, and copies were made.

Will probably have to switch back to 7.1.18? Did not see these issues in 7.2 beta versions, but only did imports one time at first beta release.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:57 pm

Hi,

Having trouble following your post. Perhaps you could clarify on [email protected]. I just did:

- Selected General Group
- File/Import Macros
- Located a source directory
- Highlighted some of the scripts in the list
- Press Ok.

And my selected macros are now showing in the General group.

Tried other permutations and groups but can't reproduce what you are seeing - I always end up with what I expect.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Captive
Macro Veteran

Post by Captive » Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:01 am

Unfortunately, I have experienced similar (or identical) issues today.
I made 'copied' of my script directories, I uninstalled my 2 installed versions of MSched, then installed the new v7.2.031.

I created my groups, one by one, in MSched. I then made the mistake of copying my old scripts in to the groups I wanted them in.

:arrow: Importing macros from it's own directory.
So my group would be called Systay, and use the folder of:
"\Scripts\SysTray\"
and in this directory was 11 .scp files.
With "SysTray" hilited, I clicked to import, and selected this folder. My mistake, and now I realise that MSched checks the "target" directory to se if the script exists, rather than checking to see if the scripts are actually loaded in to msched. 0 files imported.

So, I just made a temp directory somewhere else, put my scp's in it, and imported from there.

:arrow: As per Bob's suggestion:
Suggestion: When doing import, it would be nice to remember the last tree path that was selected.
I would agree, as I have several different gropus, and each time I had to re-browse to the path. By the way, there *must* be better methods of selecting a directory to that funky path-only-and-can't-type-anything-in dialog. :)

:!: Also, while it's possible to type something in to the edit box for this path, it never does anything! It doesn't select the path, it doesn't list what macros are at this path, and it doesn't use this path when you browse.

:arrow: Imported scripts not showing in group, but appear in "All Macros".
(As Bob's "Attempt 3")

:arrow: Import successful, bot .scp file not moved.
Script lists in "group", but won't fun (can't be found) when attempted to run. This happened several times, even when imports appeared to be succesful. Happened twice with the "Some Info" script. In all cases, I can tell which scripts this happened with, because in the "All Macros" view, there is nothing in the "Group" column.

:D One great thing, is that not a single macro was deleted or lost at any time.

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:26 am

Well i'm going mad trying to reproduce any of these errors. If someone can give us some difinitive, easy to follow, steps to reproduce even just one of these problems, we'll work on getting it fixed, but as yet, I have been unable to replicate any problems.

Simple, step by step instructions, please.

Oh, and some people are in danger of over-using emoticons - they're driving me mad. Any more and I'll switch them off permanently! :wink:
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Captive
Macro Veteran

Post by Captive » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:54 am

Ok, here's 5 problems (I remembered #2 when I was typing this up).
Unfortunately, I can't find any steps that cause #4 to always happen, although from what Bob said, it's what happened to him too.

-----
Problem 1: Can't import from groups own directory.

a) Put some scp files in to a directory that is already being used by a group.
Example: "\MyScripts\"
Group name: MyScripts

b) Now, try to import the new scripts in to the "MyScripts" group. You can select them, but it will always say "Imported 0".

(So it seems the 'script already in this group' is detected by the physical file system, and not the group itself)
-----
Problem 2: Importing twice in a row from the same directory, no scripts list in import window.

a) Try to import again (This time it doesn't matter what group you try to import to).
b) Select the SAME directory that you did in problem 1.
c) 0 macros will appear in the import window, even though they are in the directory.
(You can select a different directory, click ok, the select MyScripts directory again, scripts now display)

-----
Problem 3: Path "Edit" in import window does nothing.

Even though you can manually enter a path in the "edit" part (Source Directory) in the import window, nothing happens.
- No files appear when you type in a path, even when hitting enter or changing focus to another component.
- Clicking the browse button still opens at c:\

Additionally, the browse button opens at c:\ *every* time I open the import window. It would be nice if it remembered the last place I imported from, and tried to open that first. (Same with the group properties)

-----
Problem 4: Scripts don't appear in the group you imported in to, but appear under "All Groups"

Can't duplicate right now, sorry. :(

-----

Problem 5: When moving multiple scripts from one group to another (each group having their own directory), one script always fails to physically move from directory to directory.

Two groups:
MyScripts (With directory "\MyScripts\")
MyStuff (With directory "\MyStuff\")

With 15 script imported in to the "MyScripts" group.

Drag all 15 scripts from the MyScripts group, to the MyStuff group (in MSched).
All 15 file will apear to be moved over, but 1 file will still pysically remain in the "\MyScripts\" directory, and not the MyStuff directory. This seems to always be the second to last script in the list.

(After a few experiments, this will reproduce even when dragging 2 scripts from one group to another.)

-----
Hope this helps (And I apologize for using a bunch of emoticons.)

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:31 am

Hi,

Thanks for this - I have been able to replicate those steps and we will address each issue.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:18 pm

Installed 7.2.032 on Windows 98ME

First glance: Import File is remembering last tree brach selected...GREAT! Much better, thanks.

Second glance: Import to same branch on the second time is better, it shows files (last version they were sometimes blank),

BUT....it not longer shows a file that has been imported. Example:

Branch has macros, 1,2,3,4,5.
Did Import 1. Went to branch, saw all 5 listed, selected #3, imported successfully.
Did Import 2. Went to same branch (thanks again, much better), only see listed 1,2,4,5. #3 that was already iimported did not show in the list. I then checked the folder to make sure it was only copied and not moved, and that was confirmed. The #3 macro was still there.

I closed MS and reopened it. Did new File Import. Two initial items to note:
1. Import tree was expanded, but to default path vs. previous path. But the import settings for macros.dat was still the previous path.
2. Macro #3 was now listed again as an available macro to choose from.

Import3. Selected macro #2, and got message that import was OK. But imported file ended up in All Macros, not in the Group folder that was highlighted when opening File Import. Need to drag file from All Macros to proper Group.

File Import 4, and last Source path is not listed, it is listing the parent of the last Source path from Import 3. Browsed to correct lower branch. seleted macro #5. Source for macros.dat was still good, same as previous import. Got message that 0 files were imported.
Checked macros.dat to make sure not a leftover name from earlier stuff, macro not listed. Will try again.

File Import 5. Exact same as import 4, wrong Source path listed, file not imported.. But looked in folder with Explore and saw that macro file actually was copied into folder. but is not listed in MS at all. Also see that macro #3 that was dragged from All Macros to proper group is listed in Group correctly but is actually in the folder for another group!

I will stop now, I am sure I have provided enough confusion for now. Looks like a number of issues still be resolved here.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!