Does anybody want to have virtual meetings?

General Macro Scheduler discussion

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Yes, I think it would be a great idea!
No votes
Yes, I think it would be a great idea, and I would be willing to host the meeting at least one time!
50%
Maybe, but let's talk about it some more first.
50%

Total votes: 2

helpdsk

Post by helpdsk » Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:57 am

Does anybody want to have virtual meetings over the Internet?

Ernest brought up an interesting point about the flurry of posts that Bob Hansen and I have enjoyed over the past few days. Ernest said that it looked more like a personal chat than it did a Forum discussion, and he was feeling like we had left him and everybody else out.

As part of our official apology to the Forum, Bob and I thought about the possibility of including the rest of the Forum members in our next chat. Let's call it a multi chat or a virtual meeting, just so we have a name for it.

Would anybody "out there" in the Forum like to have a virtual meeting once per month (or week, or quarter, or whenever) at a specific time where we all get together over the Internet with our favorite beverage in hand and exchange ideas in "real time"? It might be interesting to come up with a time that works for everyone, but we can work on that later.

Because it is free, maybe we would use good old Microsoft Netmeeting. Or maybe, someone out there knows of much better software we could use than good old Netmeeting. (Naaah!) But it has to be something that could be affordable for everyone.

At this meeting, we could all get to know each other better, talk about whatever we want, share a few Macro Scheduler tips and pointers with the group, whatever comes to mind. If we were all in the same city, we would call it the local Macro Scheduler User's Group, but this one could be better than any other User's Group you have ever been to. We could have an agenda every week, always using the same schedule, or we could have no schedule at all, or one meeting could be scheduled and one meeting not scheduled. We can work out all those kinds of details later.

But, to start, I think we have two questions to ask ourselves:
1 Should we meet over the Internet on a regular basis?
2 How can we do that so that everyone can participate?
So the purpose of this poll is to ask the first question. If we get the right answer for the first question, we can ask another poll for the second one. Assuming your answer is yes, we should meet, please suggest answers to the following variables (that's Macro Scheduler talk) :lol:
1. How many times per month or per year should we meet
2. Who wants to host the meetings and when can they host them
3. Of course we would include Ernest whatever he decides, but do you need to be a member of MJTNET to participate or can just anybody come
4. How long should the meetings last, or should there be different lengths
5. What dates and times would usually work for you, if any, using US Central Time (This is my post, so I get to use my time zone! :lol: )
6. What kind of software would get the job done best (I think we need a whiteboard, a chat function, camera, speaker and microphone options, remote control might be nice)
7. Anything else I left out that you think is important
8. Do we need permission from MJTNET to do this sort of thing, and if so, does anybody know who we need to speak to
Edward
Things should be made as simple as possible -- but no simpler.

Albert Einstein

helpdsk

I already want to change this posting.

Post by helpdsk » Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:02 am

I already want to change this posting. :roll:

I went over to the Memberlist and found that most of the members don't even publish their Locations.

I think that if you want to have a worldwide Internet meeting and you want to attempt come up with a good time for almost everyone, it would be good to get a listing of everyone's Location, don't you agree? Please correct me in your posting if you think I am wrong, or else please update your Profile to read your current Location if you would like to participate in our little meeting.

Unless I am missing something, it would be difficult for a bad man (or bad woman--we are equal opportunity employers here) to come to your door with a username like s1013, or gap, or marbles, don't you agree?

If you are uncomfortable giving out your real Location, maybe you could give us the name of a town that is in your Time Zone, at least. You can use State Capitols like I did, or I will leave it up to your imagination to come up with more entertaining names, as long as they are not X-Rated, or in bad taste. You could just give us your Time Zone but I think it would be more fun for everyone if you spent a little time in a library or a bookstore to come up with a really cool name of a town.

If you live in the US, I would love it if you could give me a town I can find on any old Rand McNally Map. If you live in any other country, it would be great if you could give me an Internet URL of a map with the location of your town on it. (If at all possible) I would like to get a picture in my head of all the Locations of all the people who would like to participate in our little meeting, before we try to come up with some times that will work.

No offense is meant to any real people actually living in any of the towns with these entertaining names is either intended or inferred.

Here are just a few examples because I'm sure you get the picture.
Joe, North Carolina is in the Eastern Time Zone
Embarrass, Minnesota is in the Central Time Zone
Why, Arizona is in the Mountain Time Zone
Pahrump, Nevada is in the Pacific Time Zone
Edward
Things should be made as simple as possible -- but no simpler.

Albert Einstein

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:46 pm

I think this could be interesting, fun, and beneficial.

But I can't take time to answer a lot of questions about this. If there will be one, just mention the date, time, and place, and I will make the effort to attend.

Net Meeting will work for me.

But it may be possible that this Forum has software that will allow chats also. We might be able to have real time meetings on the fly with/without any advance planning/scheduling. (Support...your comments?). Yes it would probably not have video, white boards, file transfers, etc. but could allow for some real time discussion of problems, concepts, and solutions. And perhaps real time chats could be recorded and archived?

Sounds like you are willing to put in some time to make this happen. I hope you are successful. I will be watching your progress.

If you do pull this off, with or without support of the forum software, I think that Support could add another Forum Category to the Index for meeting information, minutes of meetings, archived chat logs (too much storage space needed?), etc.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:10 am

Hi Helpdesk
Why, Arizona is in the Mountain Time Zone
Not 100% true. In summer time, Arizona adopts PST. For the last 30 years, I have lived in or traveled to all 47 states including Alaska and Washington, DC., from Arctic Circle to Key West. No map including Rand McNally, is 100% accurate. For example, no Rand McNally map indicates the existance of Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel connecting between Bear Valley and Whittier, Alaska, which helps me reduce driving time from one day to 10 minutes!

Having said that, your goal is noble and, hence, should be supported. The rest is merely logistical issues such as time zones and geographical locations.