Oops! Lost your code?

General Macro Scheduler discussion

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Oops! Lost your code?

Post by Bob Hansen » Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:44 am

Here's a hint, fresh from scar tissue........ :arrow:

Speaking from very recent experience, remember to SAVE your script before running it. You may end up in a loop that you cannot stop except by forcing Macro Scheduler to shut down.

:oops: I just did it again.
Macro is hung up.
Cannot break/stop the macro (SHIFT-ESC is not working).
Press CTL-ALT-DEL, End Task for Macro Scheduler.

Started Macro Scheduler again, and uh-oh..not now!......This was new script, never saved! All that work, gone forever, I just don't want to do that all over again. Woe is me.

But ......... all is not lost......

:idea: If you do have to force Macro Scheduler to close and your script was not saved, well, Macro Scheduler may still have a copy for you. Look in the Macro Scheduler folder where the program was installed. Look for a file named "__debug.dbg". Make a copy, and rename it to "myscript.scp" (or enter the real name if you know it). Now start a new macro. Use Import to bring in "myscript.scp" and you will have your lost code back!

Discovering this has saved me a lot of grief. Hope you never need to do it, but keep it in your toolbox, just in case! :D
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

Ernest

Post by Ernest » Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:16 am

Huh,
that's a live saver :D

Thx a lot.
Ernest

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:20 am

H Bob,

Thanks for your tip. Sometimes _debug.dbg could be locked by Macro Scheduler. In this case, you have to terminate Macro Scheduler completely and activate it again.

Personally I use Multi-Editor to compose Macro Scheduler script. It creates backups automatically.

Ernest

Post by Ernest » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:46 am

Like Multi-Editor, UltraEdit creates a bak file. Worth to have a look.
http://www.ultraedit.com

Ernest

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:11 am

Hi Ernest,

I did take a hard look into the two editors. UltraEdit is extremely successful in marketing, but Multi-Edit (http://www.multiedit.com/90info.htm) is technically the most powerful programming tools available today. Sadly, Multi-Edit Software Inc. does virtually little in marketing. That's how UltraEdit gains increasingly wider popularity amongst programmers.

Just a few Mulit-Edit features:
1. Complete control over keyboard mapping.
2. Up to 2 hotkeys can be assigned to the same function such column block moving.
3. Like Macro Scheduler, Multi-Edit is completely programmable. It has its own language and compiler so that you can create your own functions and commands.
4. Excellent support of regular expression.
5. Color highlighting when comparing two files.
6. Version control.

Ernest

Post by Ernest » Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:23 am

:D Approved :D

CiscoMike

Solution

Post by CiscoMike » Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:45 pm

I have run into this myself and what I found was that it was pretty easy to highlight the entire macro and copy it to the clipboard. Then, shut down the macro scheduler and restart it. open the script again, highlight everything and paste what you copied when the script editor wouldnt save.