Edit of Postings

General Macro Scheduler discussion

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Should we be allowed to edit our own content within 24 hours?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:52 am

No
No votes
Yes, within 1 hour
No votes
Yes, within 3 hours
No votes
Yes, Within 24 hours
100%
Yes, Unlimited Time
No votes

Total votes: 3

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Edit of Postings

Post by Bob Hansen » Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:52 am

Would it be possible to enable editing feature of the Forum to alllow the editing of postings by the author?

I understand the value of not changing something once discussions have started. Maybe limit it to 1 day after posting if some type of permanency is desired?

An example of its value would be tonight when I posted some lengthy script, and then needed to edit it. There is no way for me to go to the original posting and notify the reader that the enclosed script was modified. It would have been helpful if I had been able to go in and make the changes to the original. The changes were identified within a few hours of posting.

Thanks for listening.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

Ernest

Post by Ernest » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:57 pm

Hi,
as a guest I'm not allowed to vote. :roll:
So eat this: "Yes, within 3 hours".

Thx,
Ernest

helpdsk

Make your vote count

Post by helpdsk » Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:02 am

Ernest,

I probably speak for the entire Forum when I say it would be great to have you as a member. Then your vote would really count. 8)

I have only been a member for a few minutes myself, but from what I can see, you contribute an awful lot to this group and have helped tons of people, including myself, so we would all be glad to have you join. (Then we could send you private messages when it becomes appropriate, like this one could have been. :oops: )

If it would help give you a gentle nudge, I can start a respectful poll to see whether or not people think you have helped them and if they agree with me that you should consider being a member.

I am very careful who I give my personal information to on the Internet, but the Sign-up process for MJTNET was almost painless because they are very respectful of your personal information. You can type in as much info as you want like Bob Hansen did, or by default, type in nothing. Once you enter the Profile Area, you will see that anything that broadcasts your personal information is turned off and very easy to manage, if you decide to change it.

I think the only thing I was forced to type in was my username and password, and my email address. You can always make the first two up and you can always use a hotmail account if you don't want anyone to know your real email address. I know you are shocked, :shock: but I would be willing to bet that the regulars here would still recognize your contributions as coming from you, even if you don't use Ernest as your new username. (But please use Ernest if you do decide to become a member.)

Please take this message from me in the respectful spirit in which it was given, and forgive me if I offend. If you still want to be Guest, we'll abide by your decision. This Forum needs your help and ideas either way. :idea: :idea: :idea: :!:

Edward
Things should be made as simple as possible -- but no simpler.

Albert Einstein

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:44 am

It should now be possible for registered users to edit their posts.

We were not able to restrict this to any particular timeframe however. Let's see how this goes. As long as people aren't coming back and editing posts made years ago thus ruining the archive of useful tips things should be ok. We will monitor the situation and revert back should this cause any problems.

Unregistered users are also now able to vote.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:29 pm

I knew you could do it, only wondered if you would.

Thanks for the tools, won't be abused.

And an additional thank you to all who voted, even if by proxy!

Ah, the power of the ballot. Who says your vote doesn't count?
Bob

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:38 am

Bob,

Actually only two votes were cast. IMHO, depicting it as "a power of the ballot" is stastiically false. From the scientific and ethical standpoint, we're supposed to faithfully maintain our original wording intact, for good and for bad.

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:22 pm

Why do you think that only 2 votes were cast is statistically false? :shock:

In an election, the polls don't count, only the ballots for those who are eligible, and take the time to vote are actually counted.

I read the results as 100% (of THE VOTERS) said YES within 24 hours.

I fully support the scientific method and high standards of ethics.
But if someone is going to drive over a cliff because the sign was wrong, then shouldn't I correct the sign? Or is it more ethically correct to just stand by and watch them drive over the cliff, and say "OOPS, I could have warned you, but decided not to!" ?
=========================================

This is another example of how humor and tone of voice do not come through on message boards.

The earlier posting and the lines above were supposed to be humor. (They have not been edited to make them even funnier. That would be scientifically incorrect).

(I am now holding up a "LAUGH" sign

......wait..

...wait.....

....wait

..."APPLAUSE"

That's all folks! :D
Thanks, I needed a break
Bob

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:30 pm

Guys,

None of this has got very much to do with Macro Scheduler! Can we please end this topic. No more replies please. Thanks.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:26 am

Hi Bob,
Sorry for the confusion caused to you.
By "statistically false", I mean only 2 votes can hardly represent the wish of the majority of forum members.
By " scientific & ethical standpoint...", I mean our posted messages shouldn't be altered in any way to preserve its originality intact.
Rather I perceive:
1. MJT hosts this forum;
2. MJT is exceedingly generous in accommodating individual member's wish;
3. I respect the host's wish;
4. Will I take the advantage? Definitely not.
5. Do I respect you idea? Definitely yes.
Please allow us to practice democracy here and allow voices of differences. Should my last post bug you in any way, please accept my sincere apology.

Happy MacroScripting.