Feature request: additional hot keys

General Macro Scheduler discussion

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

twwilliams

Feature request: additional hot keys

Post by twwilliams » Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:02 pm

This is a feature request. I would like to see additional keys and key combos available as hot keys. I would like to be able to use all the keys on the keyboard, not just letters, numbers, and the 12 function keys. I would also like to be able to use ctrl-alt-shift as a modifier.

Thank you.

-- Tommy

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:13 am

Hello Tommy,

It's a nice-to-have feature, but not a critical one. One must consider its practicality. From the user standpoint, how could he/she remember so many hotkeys? In addition, how could you avoid the conflicts of hotkeys already assigned to application such as Office XP?

twwilliams

Post by twwilliams » Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:31 pm

I find it eminently practical. I have grown used to the ctrl-alt-shift chord for any key customizations that I do. I also have a programmable 58-key keypad and I find the limited selection of hot keys frustrating.

-- Tommy

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Sat Jan 04, 2003 11:27 pm

Hi Tommy,

Personal hotkey preferences alway vary. Personally, without all due respect, I'm comfortable with the huge supply of hotkeys used for activating Macro Scheduler Scripts. CTL-ALT-SHIT hotkey isn't implemented in any commercial software products to the best of my knowledge. Pleaes correct me if I'm wrong. And, it's difficult to operate, that is, it requires two hands. If the software is designed for all walks of life, accessibility is always an important factor.

On the other hand, adding the CTRL-ALT-SHIFT hotkey support shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:08 pm

Hi,

Here's a tip that will let you use a different hot key combination. Create a desktop shortcut for the macro and then edit that shortcut's properties. You will find in there a 'Short Cut Key' option where you can enter any shortcut key combination you like.

You now have a way to run the macro with your preferred short cut key using Windows existing functionality.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:26 am

Hi Support,

Thanks for suggesting the desktop shortcuts. I almost forgot the technique.

Hi Tommy,

Assuming you're running Windows XP, right-click on the desktop and press W (new), S (shutcut). You will encounter Create Shortcut dialog window. Just type the script name, say MyScript.scp, in the Type the location of the item field. Press Next. Type a shortcut meaningful to you. Press Finish.

Back to the desktop agin, you'll find a new shortcut with a gear icon. Single-clickand it and press Alt+Enter to activate the Property window. Under the Shortcut tag, first click the Shortcut Key field and press whatever CTRL-ALT-Shift combination hot key you like. Click OK to conclude the setup.

That should satisfy your requirement.