I do not understand SMTPSendMail

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

SUG

I do not understand SMTPSendMail

Post by SUG » Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:01 pm

There is something strange in SMTPSendMail.

There is no parameter for the password!!!!!!

So, can I send a e-mail without saying the password?

Such a strange thing.

Captive
Macro Veteran

Post by Captive » Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:07 pm

From the help file...

If you are using an SMTP server that requires authentication, you can enable authentication by setting SMTP_AUTH to 1, and then setting SMTP_USERID and SMTP_PASSWORD to the username and password that you need to connect to the SMTP server. e.g:

Let>SMTP_AUTH=1
Let>SMTP_USERID=myuser
Let>SMTP_PASSWORD=frogslegs

SUG

Post by SUG » Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:48 pm

Do they exist server that require no password?

If some one exists, then I can send an e-mail of another person. Or another person can send an e-mail with my account. Such a boring thing!!!

Can this possible????
:evil:

Captive
Macro Veteran

Post by Captive » Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:08 am

Yes they do exist, but most of them will only allow you to send using that server if you have the same domain name.

Example, only people who's IP address ends in blahxyz.com can send mail through mail.blahxyz.com.

Also, email servers normally add headers such as the IP of the person who sent the email.

SUG

Post by SUG » Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:18 pm

The IP??? In my conection says "IP direction asigned by server". I can have a different IP different days.

Well, I have an e-mail count ending in "yahoo.es". Then, another person with other account ending in "yahoo.es" can send an e-mail using my account. Such a terrible thing!!!!!

I want a safe e-mail account!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!:

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:37 pm

Many mail servers have some kind of POP authentication so that it will only allow an IP address to send email if it has very recently collected email by POP3 - which requires a password.

The smtp server may also only allow a connection from a list of trusted domains.

I agree that it makes better sense for SMTP servers to request a username and password but this is still quite uncommon and one of the above methods is used instead.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]