ALT+TAB show dialog and executable even if compiled as hidden

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Grovkillen
Automation Wizard

ALT+TAB show dialog and executable even if compiled as hidden

Post by Grovkillen » Thu May 25, 2023 12:42 pm

Is this a known issue that the dialog and/or compiled executable shows up in the ALT+TAB window manager?
Let>ME=%Script%

Running: 15.0.24
version history

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Re: ALT+TAB show dialog and executable even if compiled as hidden

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Thu May 25, 2023 1:27 pm

There's every possibility I do not have the depth of knowledge to adequately answer this or to comprehend the issue, but I will do my best - and if that fails will consult with Marcus.

According to the manual : "Task bar icon will not be shown (adds /HIDE to Include Parameters)" (convenience link)

So this suggests to me that it's relating only to the taskbar and not the ALT-TAB switch open programs. I just compiled the same script with and without /HIDE, and the latter compilation didn't show on the taskbar while the former did.

Please let me know if I am on the wrong track here and I'll point Marcus in this direction.
Yes, we have a Custom Scripting Service. Message me or go here

Grovkillen
Automation Wizard

Post by Grovkillen » Thu May 25, 2023 1:42 pm

Yeah I know this is not covered by the /HIDE etc. and perhaps it's even so that you need to address the fact that you may want the dialogs to show in the ALT+TAB but NOT THE BASE PROGRAM. Only windows should be present in the ALT+TAB manager. So my suggestion is to only (by default) remove the base program.
Let>ME=%Script%

version history

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Thu May 25, 2023 1:48 pm

I'll pass this on
Yes, we have a Custom Scripting Service. Message me or go here

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Thu May 25, 2023 4:23 pm

If ALT + TAB is really a problem, one way to thwart it is to disable ALT. Of course this has its own set of issues some of which might be addressed by adding conditions in the Reset subroutine. You could, for example, detect the current window name and fail to release ALT if a specific window name is current. Other remediations are possible that's just one that came to mind.

Code: Select all

OnEvent>Key_Down,VK18,3,Reset

SRT>Reset
  Release ALT
END>Reset

Label>Loop
  Wait>0.01
Goto>Loop

Grovkillen
Automation Wizard

Post by Grovkillen » Fri May 26, 2023 4:33 am

It's not a problem but a impression sinker. I'm developing a bundle of apps to this one company. I call them help apps and now the users starts to get this ALT + TAB window manager polluted by a non-window entry per compiled app. It's a nag for them and I feel their pain. Maybe we need to start a bunty for Marcus to be able to spend time on improving MS? My feeling currently is that MS isn't getting much attention from the only(?) developer. Makes my tummy ache, what happens if this one developer stops all together... Is this awesome tool forever dead? I wouldn't mind this potential problem to be addressed by Marcus. If money is the problem, please tell us. We need to know.
Let>ME=%Script%

version history

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Fri May 26, 2023 7:06 am

I'm not sure there's anything we can do here as this is what Windows does. But once minimised to the tray an app should disappear from that alt tab list and if not minimised then it has to follow the rules of windows. So just make sure it's minimised. And if you can't then I'm sorry you'll have to put up with what Windows does.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

Grovkillen
Automation Wizard

Post by Grovkillen » Fri May 26, 2023 3:44 pm

Ah, that is something I can test. I will listen to the ALT+TAB and minimize the app(s) temporary.

Glad to see you here Marcus.
Let>ME=%Script%

version history

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Fri May 26, 2023 3:54 pm

Grovkillen wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 4:33 am
It's not a problem but a impression sinker. I'm developing a bundle of apps to this one company. I call them help apps and now the users starts to get this ALT + TAB window manager polluted by a non-window entry per compiled app. It's a nag for them and I feel their pain. Maybe we need to start a bunty for Marcus to be able to spend time on improving MS? My feeling currently is that MS isn't getting much attention from the only(?) developer. Makes my tummy ache, what happens if this one developer stops all together... Is this awesome tool forever dead? I wouldn't mind this potential problem to be addressed by Marcus. If money is the problem, please tell us. We need to know.
No amount of money, or developers will allow us to change how Windows works!
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

Grovkillen
Automation Wizard

Post by Grovkillen » Fri May 26, 2023 4:02 pm

I feel like you're missing my point. I'm super happy with the app but the lack of communication between what we as users hope for and the realistic future of this app is making me worried. I'm on your side, believe me, I'm a huge fan and happy paying customer. I always express my gratitude, maybe not always super clear, and have made this my main tool for any automation I stumble upon. Please see this as a friend who only have good intentions. I love MS. Do you?
Let>ME=%Script%

version history