Image Recognition: Is this a Bug or Trial Limitations?

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Darek

Image Recognition: Is this a Bug or Trial Limitations?

Post by Darek » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:57 am

I recently downloaded Macro Scheduler 14 and I'm in love with it so far. I'm giving it a thorough run through before I buy it and I ran into a strange potential issue.

I can't seem to use more than 20 Image Recognition commands in a single macro at any given time. Whenever I try to use the "Image Recognition Wizard," under "What to Look For," the "Capture An Image" button won't create a new image, no matter how many times it lets me select an area on my screen to create a new image.

Is this a bug? Is it a trial version limitation? Or is this the maximum allowed by the program?

If it's a trial limitation then I'll be purchasing the program immediately, but if it's the maximum allowed or a bug, I may have to either reconsider or wait for it to be fixed.

Can anyone answer my questions?

Thank you.

-Darek

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Re: Image Recognition: Is this a Bug or Trial Limitations?

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:06 am

Thank you for your question.

First, let me assure you it's not a trial limitation. It also isn't any kind of a bug that I'm aware we've come across or had reported before.

I just tried to replicate this used the Wizard 28 times in a row to successfully create code and images, before I stopped testing.

It's certainly very odd. Could it be a resources or a permissions issue?
Yes, we have a Custom Scripting Service. Message me or go here

Darek

Post by Darek » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:40 am

Hey, thank you for your response.

I purchased a subscription anyway just to see if it would fix the problem, but it didn't.

I did some further testing, and this is what I found:

1) If the image is smaller than ~30 pixels on either the x or y axis, it won't capture an image.
2) After it fails to capture an image, it no longer allows you to capture images of -any- size, and creates broken .bmp files in its image folder with each new attempt.
3) The only way to fix the problem once this behavior starts happening is to log out of windows or restart the computer. Then it resolves.

It's a little inconvenient having to log in and log back out, but I have a pretty fast computer so its not too bothersome. If you'd like, I'll recreate it and upload a video.

I'll try looking into it as far as I can in the mean time.

Darek

Post by Darek » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:54 am

Well, now for some reason it's allowing me to select areas smaller than 30x30 pixels whilst producing an image. Maybe it's partially random? I don't know what's going on, lol. I must be misusing the program incorrectly some how or something. All I know is that I have only ever run into the issue whenever I try to select a small portion of the screen, but now it's behaving well for the most part.

Darek

Post by Darek » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:36 am

Alright, I experimented with it quite a bit more and I was able to isolate the issue. It wasn't related to size or anything.

For some reason, when clicking and dragging in a diagonal direction from bottom left to upper right OR from upper right to bottom left, it won't capture the image. I tried it in both of those directions 30 times each and it was 100% repeatable (Dragging from upper left to bottom right OR bottom right to upper left captures the image just fine!). I should also mention that I tested this on my laptop as well to see if it was a bug in my main computer specifically or if it might be a bug in Macro Scheduler, and the results were the same. So either my two computers share the same glitch or it's just a teeny tiny bug in the software.

I realized that whenever I tried to draw a smaller area, or when trying to capture a location on the far right side of the screen (near the edge) that I changed the direction of the draw and that it wouldn't capture an image. Then it clicked in my head and I was able to figure it out.

It's an easy fix from here on out when it comes to using the product (I'll just have to pay more attention to the direction of the draw), and I have to say that I'm fully satisfied with purchasing it. It's a wonderful tool. If this is repeatable on your system and it turns out to be a bug, I hope it's an easy fix!

Thank you.

-Darek

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:13 am

Hi Darek,

I just tried that and I think you're absolutely correct. I could reproduce the results with 100% accuracy.

Thumbnails were only generated when dragging in certain directions.

TL > BR - captures an image
TR > BL - doesn't capture an image
BL > TR - doesn't capture an image
BR > TL - captures an image

I'll bring this up with Marcus.

Kind regards,

Dorian.

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:07 am

I just consulted Marcus on this. It's not a bug it is only MEANT to capture top left to bottom right.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:12 pm

Look HERE
Second script makes a .PNG file from your selection. The script can be altered to make a .BMP or a .JPG. The script doesn't care what direction you move to make your selection.