How to execute a macro at Windows startup

Example scripts and tips (replaces Old Scripts & Tips archive)

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL, Phil Pendlebury

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

How to execute a macro at Windows startup

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:30 pm

I was just asked how to do this, so thought someone here might benefit from me making a YouTube video.

Here's how to do it, in a few quick and easy steps.

http://youtu.be/cFtP8bhopdQ
Yes, we have a Custom Scripting Service. Message me or go here

Rain
Automation Wizard

Post by Rain » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:54 pm

Thanks, I hope some will find this useful.

I just posted an example to run a compiled script (exe) at Windows Startup without adding a shortcut to the exe to the startup folder, using the registry.

http://www.mjtnet.com/forum/post35450.html#35450

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:58 am

That's a good idea, Rain. I like that one.

Thank you.

Monkster
Junior Coder

Post by Monkster » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:03 am

Rain wrote:Thanks, I hope some will find this useful.

I just posted an example to run a compiled script (exe) at Windows Startup without adding a shortcut to the exe to the startup folder, using the registry.

http://www.mjtnet.com/forum/post35450.html#35450
The weirdest thing just happened... Just prior to rebooting a few minutes ago, I made some tweaks to my Win 8 system that I hoped would solve a problem that I've been having with *three startup applications refusing to run at startup. When those tweaks didn't work, I decided to write a macro.

It will be a very simple macro to write but I didn't even think about the "When System Restarts" feature and probably wouldn't have, so that will help greatly!

So anyway, I brought up the Macro Scheduler (MS) main screen where I noticed the "Samples" folder. I have looked at that "Samples" folder a million times, without going into it for ages, but this time, for some reason, I opened the folder and looked more closely at its' contents where I found the "View More Examples" script. That script took me to this forum, where the entry for this example, "How to execute a macro at Windows startup" was on the third line! Weird coincidence or something more going on here?

Now, I know that there is another Windows automation tool out there that (Is not as good but yet is much more expensive.) claims to have "Psychic Tech Support." It's got me thinking that perhaps MS should go one better and claim something like Mind Controlled Tech Support! :-)

_____
Snag It v11.2.0 (build 102); ClipMate v7.5.26 (build 136); and AutoHotkey v1.1.13.01
Best Wishes,
Monkster

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:27 am

Hehe, that's pretty amusing, Monkster!

Glad you got your issue resolved.

Maybe they're called Psychic Tech Support because they use tarot cards and crystal balls to get their answers?! :D