Script Example: Application Deployment Script

Example scripts and tips (replaces Old Scripts & Tips archive)

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL, Phil Pendlebury

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Script Example: Application Deployment Script

Post by CyberCitizen » Tue May 28, 2013 3:46 am

Hi Guys,

Wanted to send a script though for the Script of The Month Contest.

I have been developing a FTP Script, however its not finished due to some personal stuff that has come up, so the script is still in the final stages of development.

Because of this I thought I would send though one I wrote for a former company I worked for. Can't really post the script as it wouldn't work for anyone else unless they are in the internal network so I have posted the below video.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=XR ... M&vq=hd720

This became a core program for application deployment. This was written as part of the new 1 Desktop (Win7) environment all applications are controlled via Active Directory groups & deployed via SCCM in Dallas Texas.

Normal process is you would add the Active Directory application group to the membership of the computer & the SCCM server will query AD & deploy the required applications.

This caused a few delays for us being in Australia due to cross domain communication, application replication etc. I designed this program to read the directory of SCCM packages, present a list of packages to the Floor Walker / Desktop Support Person to select and enter the asset number of the machine they wanted to remotely deploy the software to; the program would extract the zipped package (prior to native zip functions in Macro Scheduler) to the asset number listed in a temp directory and install it under the local system account. This prevented the installer looking for files on a network share that might be missing or using an account that is no longer valid.
FIREFIGHTER

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Fri May 31, 2013 11:28 pm

Many thanks, I've added it to the list. :D
Yes, we have a Custom Scripting Service. Message me or go here