[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data

Ideas for new features & functions

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:50 pm

Hi Marcus and all,

After reading forum post read bitmap directly from exe and finding out that it is being considered...
Marcus Tettmar about above post wrote:It is already on the wishlist.
...I realized that an enhancement I had suggested a while ago (and which has not received much lovin so far) is similar... and that in general:
  • since we can embed a file inside a compiled MS script...
  • ...it would be advantageous for us to be able to "use" that embedded file data without having to go through the step of first converting the embedded file data back into an actual "file"
I had asked for an enhanced PlayWav> command that can play from embedded script data. Advantages I was looking for include:
  • security - users would not be able to "see" the files and manually listen to them as that might be inappropriate for a particular user in a given situation
  • prevent tampering - users would not be able to manually delete or alter wav files used internally by an MS script
  • EASE OF DEPLOYING new/altered WAV files for users - I have a TWO WEEK waiting period for any pushes to client machines inside the company. This would ELIMINATE that for me
In any event, perhaps this will generate some feedback from other users.

Do you support this request in particular?
- An enhanced PlayWav> command that can play a WAV directly from embedded script data

Do you support this request "in general" i.e....
- In all commands where we currently make use of a file, if we can embed the file in the script... it would be advantageous for us to be able to "use" that embedded file data without having to go through the step of first converting the embedded file data back into an actual "file"

If you support this idea, either in particular or in general, please jump in and say a few words.

My original request is below... Thanks and take care

Opened by jpuziano

Project Macro Scheduler 14·Opener jpuziano·Priority Normal·Hi Marcus,

I know you said only bug fixes going forward but I wanted to bounce this idea off you asap so I am adding it here.

Embedding image data in a dialog is fantastic as it eliminates the hassle of pushing image files to directories on the user's PC when they use my compiled MS apps.

That feature is even better now that my compiled apps retrieve script lines from a file I maintain on an internal company webserver. I use HTMLRequest to pull updated script lines on startup daily and IncludeFromVar to run the new lines. This means I can change images as often as I like and image file distribution is a NON-ISSUE for me.

However I still have file distribution issues with wav files. As our company moves from XP to Win 7, tighter rules mean I cannot easily write updated wav files (or any files) into a subdir under Program Files on a user’s machine. That is where I am supposed to put files for an app however it now requires Admin rights and a re-install every time so its a hassle.

Would it be possible to get an enhancement that would allow us to embed wav file data into a dialog and somehow point the PlayWav command at that data?

If a dialog does not seem like the right place to store wav file data, here’s another thought. We can already use “Tools/Import Binary Fileâ€
Last edited by jpuziano on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:16 pm

The effort and overhead required to make ALL file handling functions work with data in memory is *extreme*. I have to consider the cost/benefit ratio. The reality is that this is not something that improves the overall feel of the product and probably only matters to <1% of users.

On that basis it is still extremely unlikely.

BMP files may be more likely simply because there is already some precedent and handling of bmp files in memory.

That said, the current image recognition implementation relies on an external DLL which requires to see a file on disk. So again it is no as trivial as you may think.

Finally, may I ask as politely as possible that you do not post private exchanges on a public forum. It looks like you have posted an exchange from our private issue tracker which was only viewable by a select number of early beta testers and you have just made it public.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:25 pm

Marcus Tettmar wrote:Finally, may I ask as politely as possible that you do not post private exchanges on a public forum. It looks like you have posted an exchange from our private issue tracker which was only viewable by a select number of early beta testers and you have just made it public.
Point taken... I have just removed the exchange part of it and left only my text asking for the feature. Sorry about that, no harm intended.
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)

newuser
Pro Scripter

Post by newuser » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:01 pm

Hmm, if reading or playing a wav file in memory is possible, I wonder reading and running a exe file in memory is possible too? :P