Disable individual scripts or script groups

Ideas for new features & functions

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

ineedh3lp
Junior Coder

Disable individual scripts or script groups

Post by ineedh3lp » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:53 am

Hello!

Could you add the possibility to disable individual scripts and script groups?

It's very annoying having to disable a hot-key one script uses so another can use the same hot-key.

For example, if I have a group with scripts that use hotkeys F5 to F12 and another set that need to use those hotkeys, I first have to disable all the hotkeys from the group of scripts currently using it. If there was a possibility to disable a group, then the same hotkeys could be used while the grup initially using them is disabled. And in case of conflict, the user can be warned.

If there's already a solution to this, please let me know.

Thank you.

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Re: Disable individual scripts or script groups

Post by jpuziano » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:18 pm

ineedh3lp wrote:It's very annoying having to disable a hot-key one script uses so another can use the same hot-key.
I second the above comment but have never thought to ask for this to be changed... good point ineedh3lp.

In my case, I have scripts that keep their assigned hot keys... but also a great number of scripts that I also like to start via a favorite hot-key... but when assigning that hot key, usually it won't let me because ny favorite hot key is still assigned to the last script I used it for. That means I have to:

- go looking for which script that was
- unasign that hot key from the last script
- navigate back to the new script
- manually assign the hot key

Marcus, to make the above easier, can we have it so that instead of stopping us from assigning a hot key that has already been assigned, it warns us instead... but still gives us the option of re-assigning the hot key:

The warning message might say something like:

Hot Key: Alt F11 is already assigned to script: Test 1
Would you like to reassign the hot key to this script anyway?
Yes/No

No would do nothing. Yes would first unassign the hot key from the old script then assign it to this new script.

I realize this is a bit more complicated in that presently, if a hot key is already assigned, it simply does not show up as a choice in the dropdown when you are choosing a hot key. Perhaps that could be changed so that all choices are always displayed... but if they are already assigned, their text is gray while non-assigned choices are black.

Thanks for considering this change and take care...
Last edited by jpuziano on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)

ineedh3lp
Junior Coder

Post by ineedh3lp » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:28 pm

Just to make it clear, it's not only the script-to-script hot-key issue, but also script-to-host issue, that's why I'd like to be able to disable individual scripts or script groups.

For example, while I work in Photoshop I'm using the functional keys a lot, but I'm also using some MS scripts and because of that I don't feel comfortable shutting down Macro Scheduler- the issue here is that I have to disable the conflicting hot-keys between the scripts I'm not using and the functional keys I'm using in Photoshop.

A quick solution to that would be to mass-disable all scripts except the ones I'm using with Photoshop.

Please consider adding this feature.

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:38 pm

ineedh3lp wrote:A quick solution to that would be to mass-disable all scripts except the ones I'm using with Photoshop.
Ahh yes... so then if you could disable by group, you could setup two groups... and disable one group... whereas the other "use with Photoshop" scripts would be in the other group and still working.

That works well as long as you keep things to only two groups... but if you later added 5 new sepaarte groups, you'd end up with having to manually disable 6 groups... which is starting to get tedious again.

Enabling/Disabling hot keys by groups still could work well. It would be great if we could do all of the following:

- one click to enable/disable hot keys for all groups (includes "no group")
- one clck to enable/disable hot keys for any one group
- one click to enable/disable the hot key for any one particular script

An alternative to the above would be to give us a control to toggle ALL hot keys on or off... only we can also designate any particular script to "ignore" the mass disable... in other words, we can flag some as special that absolutely work all the time... and all the rest will be toggled on or off as needed.

If anyone has any further thoughts, please post...
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)