[Open] add "Find Previous Shift+F3" to MS Editor

Ideas for new features & functions

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

[Open] add "Find Previous Shift+F3" to MS Editor

Post by jpuziano » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:36 pm

Hi Marcus,

In the MS Advanced Editor, I often use Search/Find by hitting CTRL+F and after finding the first occurrence, I often hit...

Find Next F3

...over and over again, tapping the F3 key... until I get to the end of the script and realize I've gone too far...

...and at that point, I would love a different keyboard shortcut to back up a few occurrences but there is none. I have to drag the scrollbar up, click into the script higher up and tap F3 again to get to the "Next" occurrence I'm looking for.

Or, I could hit CTRL+F again and click the radio button to reverse the direction of the search and click OK and after that I could now tap F3 to search backwards until I arrive at the end (the top of the scipt this time) and once again further F3 tapping is of no use.

Two suggestions:

1. When tapping F3 and you get to the end, don't just stop, roll around and search from the top again like other popular text editors - Notepad++ does that for example.

2. Please add another choice to the MS Advanced Editor Search menu:

Find Previous Shift+F3

This could still honor whatever my Find Direction is currently set to... I could tap F3 to search and if I searched too far, I could use Shift+F3 to search back the other way. This may even be somewhat of a "standard"... again I know that Notepad++ offers "Find Previous Shift+F3".

It may seem like a small thing but it would make it so much easier when searching back and forth through a huge script with lots of jumps to a label and you're looking for all the places from where that label is called.

Thanks for listening and please reply to let me know if you are considering this one.
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)