AddTrayIcon Suggestion

Ideas for new features & functions

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Rain
Automation Wizard

AddTrayIcon Suggestion

Post by Rain » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:29 pm

Ability to load an icon file from imported binary without having to export it first. Like we were able to do with the Dialog image property in version 11

Code: Select all

Image=IMAGE1_DATA,130,42,53,25,msImage1,0

AND

LET>Dialog1.msImage1=IMAGE2_DATA

Code: Select all

AddTrayIcon>IMPORTED_ICON_DATA,MyTrayIcon,Click Me To Open
AddTrayHandler>MyTrayIcon,OnClick,DoTrayClick

/*
IMPORTED_ICON_DATA:
*/
Thanks for listening.

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:03 am

Hi Rain, Marcus and everyone,
Rain wrote:Ability to load an icon file from imported binary without having to export it first.
I second Rain's suggestion.

Perhaps this one could be worked on together with this other Sys Tray related suggestion which I believe has made it to the wish list:
[Open] Is a Right-Click Menu for System Tray Icon Possible?

Reviewing the above led me to this post:
compiled script icon questions

And in there, JRL posted this:
JRL wrote::) Its all a "temp fix" if I'm comprehending THIS ARTICLE correctly.

Sorry I don't have anything genuine to contribute. I've never set an icon to a compiled script, I've never even created an icon. It seems somewhat frivolous for me since all of my programs run in one building. Perhaps someone can make something useful with libfunc> using the Shell_NotifyIcon function.
I clicked JRL's "THIS ARTICLE" link and there we have guidelines from Microsoft on how to properly use the "notification area" i.e. "The notification area provides notifications and status. Well-designed programs use the notification area appropriately, without being annoying or distracting."
Out-take from [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511448.aspx#minimizingprograms[/url] wrote:Minimizing programs to the notification area
Note: Minimizing program windows to the notification area is no longer recommended for Windows 7. Use regular taskbar buttons instead. Your program may support both mechanisms for backward compatibility.

- To reduce taskbar clutter, consider providing the ability to minimize programs to the notification area only if all of the following apply:
- The program can have only a single instance.
- The program is run for an extended period of time.
- The icon shows status.
- The icon can be a notification source.
- Doing so is optional and users must opt in.
- Use the Minimize button on the application's title bar, not the Close button.
Thanks JRL, I don't remember seeing that before... maybe I didn't visit that link you provided.

On reading it, I hope Marcus does not consider the ability to "minimize to the sys tray" as a "temp fix" or a requirement that will be going away soon... Macro Scheduler itself has this feature. And further, when I right-click on any SysTray Icon on any PC I am at, they all provide me with a menu... and I don't see that going away too soon either, regardless of the above Win 7 recommendations.

The compiled macros I supply to users actually meet the above Microsoft recommendations but regardless... I'd still very much like to be able to make a compiled macro that a user could "minimize to the sys tray" i.e. the notification area and... have it so that the user could right click on that sys tray icon to display a menu to do various things like exit (end the macro), options (change some parameters for the macro), etc... just like when you right click on the Macro Scheduler sys tray icon itself, a menu pops up allowing you to:

Stop
Show
About
Exit
Quick Launch...

I'll get off my soapbox now... thanks for listening.
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)