[Done] - Move line numbers to first line of wrapped commands

Ideas for new features & functions

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

[Done] - Move line numbers to first line of wrapped commands

Post by Bob Hansen » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:05 am

Just noticed that when using Word Wrap and Single Spacing, the line numbers in the "center" of the lines makes it difficult to know where the actual line begins. To see a good example of this make a command that wraps for about six lines, followed by another six line command.

An example of this might be in defining the BODY of an email or long MESSAGE> contents. Could have a lot of text.

This can be overcome by just adding a blank line between commands.
But I wonder if it might be more correct to have the line number show to the left of the first line vs. to the left of the middle line? A minor inconvenience, no need for an immediate fix, maybe none needed at all. I can adapt.

Thanks for listening.
Last edited by Bob Hansen on Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Re: Move line numbers to first line of wrapped commands

Post by jpuziano » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:35 am

Bob Hansen wrote:But I wonder if it might be more correct to have the line number show to the left of the first line vs. to the left of the middle line?
I agree that having the line number positioned beside the first line (of a multi-line line with Word Wrap on) is more useful than having it appear in the middle because it marks the beginning of the line.

I just checked Notepad++ and the default behavior is also to have the line number beside the first line of a multi-line line.

I second your suggestion Bob, nicely spotted.
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:21 pm

Marcus wrote:Macro Scheduler 11.1.04 Update is now available with the following fixes:

Change: Editor line numbers now show at top of wrapped lines
- plus other fixes, see http://www.mjtnet.com/mswhatsnew.htm for the rest...

Thanks Marcus, works great...
jpuziano

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:13 am

Thanks Marcus.

I modified the Subject to show "DONE"
Bob

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:32 am

Bob Hansen wrote:I modified the Subject to show "DONE"
Thanks Bob, I hope others who have posted enhancement ideas and had them implimented start doing this as well... makes it much easier to review all ideas on the board when you can see the status in the Subject.

Take care
jpuziano

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:30 am

Also gives Marcus recognition for his unique willingness to listen and satisfy users with their requests.

I see that you have also marked the status of items that you originated. Was that always there and I missed it, or did you just do that now? I will change mine to match your format.....
Bob

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:23 pm

Bob Hansen wrote:Also gives Marcus recognition for his unique willingness to listen and satisfy users with their requests.
Yes we are fortunate here so I always try to say thanks when I have the chance.
Bob Hansen wrote:I see that you have also marked the status of items that you originated. Was that always there and I missed it, or did you just do that now? I will change mine to match your format.....
I'd say I've been doing this for about two years or so. When mjtnet was using Bugtracker, I used to go in and look at the various bug reports and see the status of each. We no longer have access to that (not sure if Marcus still uses it internally) however the best way we have of sending in enhancement suggestions is by posting them on the Enhancement Suggestions forum here. That way everyone can see the idea, add their comments, variations on the idea, support for or against, etc.

I wanted to review the status of my suggestions so I thought, why not just edit my postings and change the Subject to start with "Done" for those that were done, "Open" for others, etc. Now when I go to the Enhancement Suggestions forum, I can see status at a glance... for my suggestions anyway. I heartily encourage users that have had their suggestion implemented... to edit their original posts by adding "Done" to the Subject. The more of us that do this, the better it will be for all.

Thanks for taking up the cause Bob... and of course thanks for being here. Your willingness to help and boundless energy has been inspirational... 2121 posts and still counting, second only to Marcus.
jpuziano