Frames vs Windows

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

SandyDoss
Junior Coder

Frames vs Windows

Post by SandyDoss » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:10 pm

Is a frame treated the same as a window in MacroScheduler? Can I use window calls in the same way?

I'm working with an application that was written in MAGIC :shock: - a language developed many, many, many years ago as a rapid application development tool. It appears to be database driven (like Microsoft Access) with a front end built in frames. I ask the question because I need to be able to identify an object (input box) in a frame in order to extract text that is displayed in that box on a successful query. My goal was to use GetControlText as long as I could identify the object.

My other option appears to be GetTextInRect, or GetTextAtPoint, but because I'm not willing to sleep next to the machine to keep someone from touching it while it loops through tens of thousands of records, I thought the use of controls was a safer bet.

Maybe I'm wrong? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. - Sandy

JRL
Automation Wizard

Re: Frames vs Windows

Post by JRL » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:22 pm

To determine if the "Frame" objects are detectable by Maco Scheduler, open your application and get to an item from which you want to acquire text. Then open the Macro Scheduler main menu. Go to "Tools" then to "View System Windows". At the top of the View System Windows screen there is a message to "Drag crosshairs to locate object". Grab the "crosshairs" and drop it on the object you hope to detect. If the object is then highlighted in the list of windows objects, I think you have a good chance of making your process run the way you want. You may need to use the "View System Windows" tool to identify the window titles and object names.

If this does not work then I'd recommend a cot made by Serta. Fairly comfortable. Or if you'd rather not, another thought would be to remove the monitor from the computer and access the computer via RDP or VNC from a more secure location.

SandyDoss
Junior Coder

Re: Frames vs Windows

Post by SandyDoss » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:37 pm

Secure location. Yes, well. It's been mentioned. And nixed.
I can see under View System Windows a parent and a tree, and the crosshairs dropped on the inputbox highlights an entry on the tree, and the listing on the tree gives me a number, and a name, so I should be able to then access it as a control.

Thanks for the input. I'll give it a whirl.