Help getting started on Automating a Printing Process

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

OrangeView

Help getting started on Automating a Printing Process

Post by OrangeView » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:16 pm

Hello, I am a laser operator that programs multiple PNGs with various print settings to send to a Co2 laser engraver. I am looking to automate the programing aspect of my job to save time, plus allowing me to do other tasks such as gather the materials for engraving. I have already sped up the process quite a bit by getting an X-keys keyboard to record macros. I have managed to cut all the mouse clicks & keystrokes down to three buttons for printing each size! It is a major time saver.
I would like to share some of what I do and walk you through the process, and what I have also assigned to the keyboard keys so you may understand my goal better. I am not asking for others to completely do this for me, but for guidance on where to start and how I would go about accomplishing tasks involved in writing scripts, dialog boxes, etc. Though I have no prior coding knowledge, I am green as it gets. So, I will say I am sorry in advance for all the questions I will be asking here in the forums.
So, let’s get started! I have 8 batches of images a day that get exported to 8 separate directories. In each of the 8 batches there are two sub batches (Handle & Non-Handle). In each sub batch folder (Handle & Non-Handle), there are 75 different folders that contain each size I print. Here is an example of the process and what I have assigned to keys. There are some steps that I will be wanting to add to the process.
Step 1:
I open up a directory. From there the 3 button presses do all of the clicks and keystrokes I use to have to manually do.
Step2: Button 1
I have the keyboard type 1.5x1.5, hit Enter to open that folder, CTRL+A to select all of the images, hit Enter to open them in Corel Photo Paint.
Step 3: Button 2
CTRL+P (Print screen opens), Tab Enter to select Print Properties (Print Properties opens), Shift Tab 11 times to get to a drop-down menu with a list of our sizes.
Step 4: Button 3
I have it type 1.5x1.5, Down arrow then up arrow then Enter to select the size in the dropdown menu (The new version of this print driver is weird and will not change the size unless I use those arrow keys to reselect the size)
Hit Enter, Tab Enter, Tab Enter, (Job Identification window pops up), I have it type 1.5x1.5 (Then Non or Handle after the size depending on what I am printing), Hit Enter, (After Printing the Job & back in Corel Photo Paint), ALT+W, L then Enter (to Close All Images), Mouse Click on the File Explorer tab (Current directory I am printing from), Backspace (to go back a folder), Alt+ Up Arrow (To go up a Folder). Then I restart the process to print another size.
So that is the basic Idea of What the process is now.

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Re: Help getting started on Automating a Printing Process

Post by CyberCitizen » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:01 am

This is something that Macro Scheduler could easily assist with. What I might suggest for yourself first is to download the trial use the macro scheduler recorder to record your script / the process you do, then have a look at the code.

Once you have the basic code done, all you would do is bind it to a hot key something like Ctrl + Alt + 1 then if goes off and does all the required steps for you.

But as you mentioned you are green I would start with the recorder to get the basics down, have it record the same tasks you do manually then, test it, if it works, then adjust the timings etc to speed up the process, as the recorder will do the same wait times as yourself, however once you have got your working code, then you can tweak the settings (wait>0.5) etc to speed up the process.

This is how I started with Macro Scheduler many years ago, and found this was the easiest way to start and learn the basic commands etc.

This might also be something that MS support could assist with if they still do their remote control lessons etc.
FIREFIGHTER