MS editor as stand-alone

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

mo
Junior Coder

MS editor as stand-alone

Post by mo » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:09 pm

I am sure I read somewhere today (I did look and search and looked in the help files) that the MS editor could be used as a stand alone editor.

If someone could write out the path to the editor for me I would appreciate it...I can't seem to get it to work using the path contained in the shortcut properties.

...reason...I see that writing macros is going to be much easier to do in the TextPad editor (because of the clipboard feature)...but that there are features in the MS editor which TextPad does not have (such as the dialog designer, debugger and compiler). If I can get the MS editor working standalone, I can use it as a tool to open from within TextPad, with a script I am working on in textpad already loaded, use the features in MS, and save them back to the TextPad version.
Best Wishes!
mo

Captive
Macro Veteran

Post by Captive » Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:50 pm

The editor is actually msched.exe, and used with parameters of:
msched.exe -EDITOR
Such as:
"C:\Your_Path_To\msched.exe" -EDITOR %1
"C:\Your_Path_To\msched.exe" -EDITOR C:\Myscript.scp
(etc)

mo
Junior Coder

Post by mo » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:33 am

This seems likely to be a two-forum issue.

When I use the path:

F:\Program Files\MacroScheduler\Macro Scheduler Pro\msched.exe -Editor

I get told: "The system cannot find the specified file"

Of course I have not specified a file; but in TextPad this is supposed to then run a TextPad macro $File that brings up the active file in TextPad. I think this should work in that without the -Editor peramater, MS thinks it should run the active file.

I have tried putting the $File after the -Editor, and I have tried putting the -Editor $File together on the "Peramater" line in TextPad. No joy.

If I need to ask this on the TextPad forum, I think I need to be able to describe the issue from the MS side better.

Finally, a little off this topic: am I just missing is or can I not use CTRL+A to select all in the MS editor?
Best Wishes!
mo

Captive
Macro Veteran

Post by Captive » Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:53 am

"C:\Your_Path_To\msched.exe" -EDITOR %1
In windows, when using paths with spaces, surround the path/program in quotes.

And yeah, ctrl-a doesn't select all. You can press
CTRL HOME, (moves the cursor to the top left of the control), then CTRL-SHIFT-END (moves cursor to bottom right of control, selecting everything between previous cursor position, and current cursor position.
(This key combo works in 99% of programs out there, it's likc Ctrl-C for copy, ctrl-v for paste)

I too would like Ctrl-A to select all. :)

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:48 pm

mo...this should be in TextPad forum.

It sound like you want to open TextPad and edit all the Macro Scheduler macro scripts, is that right? Check out Workspaces in TextPad, don't open Macro Scheduler as a tool

Re opening files in Macro Scheduler Editor, you cannot use CTL-A, you can only open one script at time. That is one reason why you might want to use TextPad at times: to edit muitiple scripts at the same time.

BUT....Remember, it is a text editor, not a real macro machine. TextPad does not allow troubleshooting scripts, you cannot access on line help with syntax and examples, you cannot get mouse relative positions, you cannot get name of windows, you cannot single step, show values of variables, insert breakpoints, compile, etc.

You wrote:

I see that writing macros is going to be much easier to do in the TextPad editor (because of the clipboard feature)...but that there are features in the MS editor which TextPad does not have (such as the dialog designer, debugger and compiler). If I can get the MS editor working standalone, I can use it as a tool to open from within TextPad, with a script I am working on in textpad already loaded, use the features in MS, and save them back to the TextPad version.
NO NO NO! Let me save you hours of work. Forget about making any macros in TextPad except the simplest Text Editing tasks like changing case, inserting clips from libraries, etc. TextPAd macro did not run properly? Why not? You cannot find out, you cannot read the macro file for analysis. The first time you need to modify or edit a TextPad macro you will see why. It cannot be done. You will not even be able to read the macro to see the steps it takes. Macro Scheduler can use the system clipboard to "cut/paste". The macros that are recorded in TextPad using the system clipboard, use the actual clipboard value, and not a variable, so every time you run that macro the same value will be used, it was hard-coded, it won't use the current clipboard value the next time you run the macro.

You will still have to make your own clipboard for Macro Scheduler commands, and the time and effort is not worth it, I sent you a draft that took substantial time to create and is only 10% complete. I could make a Macro Scheduler macro to help finish it, but again, don't think that clip library is needed. Almost all of Macro Scheduler commands have abbreviated names that are only 3-5 characters long. It's not a big deal to type in the commands. Using TextPad for macros because of their clipboard is not the best reason in my opinion.

I would strongly suggest using Macro Scheduler for all macros of any substance or complexity. You can also make Macro Scheduler macros for use in TextPad that can be activated with a hot key. I have been using both products for many years, and almost never create macros in TextPad. Use Macro Scheduler to create your macros. Set focus in TextPad Window, and execute the commands you would have the TextPad program do. Learn and use the TextPad Keyboard shortcuts to simplify the process. Be sure to use the correct Case when sending keys from Macro Scheduler, TextPad is sensitive to Case on a number of hot keys.

I would suggest this as a guideline to which forum to use: What program are you opening first? If opening TextPad and you cannot edit Macro Scheduler files inside, then the problem should be addressed to TextPad forum. If you use a Macro Scheduler script and cannot open TextPad and execute their commands then address the problem to Macro Scheduler forum if those commands work manually in TextPad.

One final note. If you check the Enhancement Request section of the TextPad forum, you will see that the most frequent request for the past year has been for a better macro machine, one that can be read, copied, and modified, and uses variables. Check out the summary of the polls that Jeffy submits every few weeks. Since he started those summaries, Macros has been the most requesting enhancement. But since their expertise is in text management. I doubt that they will ever come out with a decent macro machine. And if they do, there is no way it will compare with Macro Scheduler. They each have their own unique purposes.

Use TextPad for your text editing, but use Macro Scheduler to automate any of those processes and to integrate TextPad with other programs. As an example, I have files downloaded from an FTP site, opened in TextPad where they are parsed, reformatted, and saved with new names using current date as part of the name. The newly saved files are then imported into Access which exports updated data to Quickbooks which does a final import. And I even send out an email when the process is completed confirming the process or noting if errors occured. And this is all done automatically using Macro Scheduler.

Hope to see you here again looking for help with Macro Scheduler issues. Will probably see you again on the TextPad forum.

Again, I hope this has been helpful............good luck.

mo
Junior Coder

Post by mo » Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:03 pm

Robert, thank you for this detailed reply. However it slightly misunderstands my intent. I do not intend to use the TextPad macro recorder to create macros. I intend (want to) use TextPad to write the macros to be run by MS. I am used to writing in TextPad, (and i find the MS editor slightly underdeveloped, although clearly it has tools for macro creation that will be needed) I will be able over time to work up a clip library that suits my needs.

What I was asking about here was a way to call the MS editor while I am writing a macro/script in TextPad, Open the file I am working on in TextPad in the MS Editor, Perform some function like debugging or creating a dialog, save the file and return to TextPad where TextPad will then have detected that the file has changed and update the file.

I do this currently with an html validator for example. I use Tools>CSE; it opens up the working file in CSE, Validates, saves the changes, and when I return to TextPad it asks if I want to update the file.

Like that.

The problem is I can't seem to call up the MS editor from within TextPad...which, as you point out, should probably be being discussed in the TP forum...so now I will use CTRL A to select all the text (ahum) copy it and use it for a basis for a post to that forum.
Best Wishes!
mo

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:10 pm

OK Mike, I've got a better understanding of your needs.

In TextPad, create a tool for Macro Scheduler.

In the command field enter the path and program file, like:
C:\Program Files\MJT Net Ltd\Macro Scheduler\msched.exe

In the parameters field enter -EDITOR $File

In the Initial Folder field, leave it blank.

Click Apply and OK to save the tool.

This will allow you to be editing a script in TextPad, call the MS tool with a CTL-n key to open up Macro Scheduler Editor with the current TP script. Use Macro Scheduler for testing, debugging, additional editing. If you save the script while in MS, then TP will show you the file has been changed if you have the notification feature activated in TextPad.

Note that any additional changes you make in TextPad will not show up in MS Editor. If you call the tool again, it opens another additional copy of the MS Editor, so be sure to close MS editor before making additional changes in TextPad.

I will also post this in TextPad forum.

mo
Junior Coder

Post by mo » Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:28 pm

haha I'm running as fast as I can between the boards to keep up with you!

This works perfectly, thanks!

People doing this must be sure to use all caps for the -EDITOR peramater.

PS: It might also be helpful for those using MS to run scripts in TextPad to change the name for this use...I'm using MS-Editor, just for originality.
Best Wishes!
mo

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:19 am

That's good news! :!:

:idea: By the way, there is an option in Macro Scheduler to use your own editor, like TextPad.

From the Main Control Panel for Macro Scheduler, select Tools, Options. In the field for External editor enter the path of your desired editor, like: C:\Program Files\TextPad 4\TEXTPAD.EXE.

Put a checkmark in the bos to Assign External Editor, click OK.

Now when you choose a macro to edit TextPad will open up instead of Macro Scheduler Editor. Remove the check mark to use MS Editor, but path of external editor will stay there so you only need to toggle the checkbox.

Thanks for you patience......

Glad to be of service........... :D :D