Help with coding in scheduler

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

GIkon

Help with coding in scheduler

Post by GIkon » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:41 pm

Hi guys, I'd really appreciate some direction in what to study to get a better understanding of the scheduler language. I'm an Emerg. doc, trying to automate my transcriptions. I need to be able to have scheduler read specific lines in .txt files, edit .txt files, save/copy files, and put certain chunks/lines from these files into variables. The rest I can do with the image/OCR/mouseclick wizards but for the first part I am lacking knowledge in string handling, .ini files, ReadLn functions, IfThen loops, etc. Last time I did this was on QBASIC in high school. I understand that scheduler has its own scripting language, but I can't find a good resource for learning the ins/outs of these functions specifically for scheduler. I guess my question is, 1) is there such a resource, and 2) if not, is there a language that is "close enough" that I should go through a beginner tutorial on that would help me understand this better? Loved coding in high school, but obviously it's been a few years :)

Many thanks! This program is so awesome!

G.

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Re: Help with coding in scheduler

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:12 am

I think the best way is the manual. I know this sounds like a throw-away answer, but it isn't. It's how I originally learned Macro Scheduler right from the start. The Context Sensitive help (F1 from within the editor) is a godsend.

Start off in the Command Reference and familiarize yourself with the categories. This will give you a good idea of what's possible. Then visit File Handling and
String Handling. You may also be interested in ReadIniFile and

Usually the command names give a good idea of what they actually do, and you'll find usage examples for each.

How to Loop the Loop is a great article to help you understand loops.

We're always happy to help over at Support, and you'll find a lot of helpful people on this forum too. Specific questions tend to prompt specific answers.
Yes, we have a Custom Scripting Service. Message me or go here