Suggestions Please - Excel Updates from other Excel Sheet

Hints, tips and tricks for newbies

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

TileGuy

Suggestions Please - Excel Updates from other Excel Sheet

Post by TileGuy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:33 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been using scheduler for a few months now to download excel sheets from a website and enter new orders into our accounting system from that excel sheet. Recently updated one of the processes to use a VBA function to sort (and that was VERY intimidating to me but with enough time on youtube I made it work).

This question is more in the lines of guidance (not asking anyone to do my work for me).

I would like to take two separate excel sheets. One reflecting inventory on hand and one showing inventory on order to create one inventory on hand report that has the ordered quantity subtracted from it.

I know I could potentially make macro scheduler use the find feature to look up part numbers from one order sheet on and update the other sheet but that seems very prone to errors. I know I could potentially use VBA to do some of the same process but my comfort zone is very weak.

If this were you and you were doing it with your skillset, would you go the route of using macro scheduler to fire off a macro? To make macro scheduler do the work itself? Potentially an option C, D or E that someone educated on these topics knows of that a "tile guy" would not?

In the meantime I'm still searching for example codes that are even somewhat similar to what I'm doing.

Thank you for reading this. Thank you even more for making a suggestion.
Mitch

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions Please - Excel Updates from other Excel Sheet

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Fri May 03, 2019 8:46 am

If this needs to happen from within Macro Scheduler I would have the macro loop through the sheet to find the part number. Just a simple loop. If within Excel then you have other options like the Find method.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?