VPN w/ Primary/Secondary DNS... weird issue

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Krep
Junior Coder

VPN w/ Primary/Secondary DNS... weird issue

Post by Krep » Fri May 25, 2018 11:36 pm

Sorry to keep asking questions but all the past answers have helped me tremendously. I have a script that was working fine but recently I had to switch my networking connection to VPN with a Primary and Secondary DNS specified for routing specific traffic through an external interface... The weird thing is, when I do this, a script that was working perfectly now runs at a very slow speed. The script is not accessing the network or internet at all, it is completely local based on screencaptures, key presses and sendkeys. The weird thing is, I can turn the VPN off, test and it runs very fast, responding to keystrokes in milliseconds. I turn the VPN on (now with DNS specified) and the script slows to a crawl, taking seconds to respond to keystrokes instead of milliseconds.... This makes no sense to me whatsoever. Otherwise, the PC doesn't seem to be heavily loaded or strained for resources....

This seems like not a macroscheduler problem per-se... but it is easily reproduced and I can't figure out why there would be any link between VPN w/ DNS versus VPN or no VPN without and running a script... so I thought maybe I would ask if there is any known issue here or something I need to change? Does this make any sense or seem completely crazy and unrelated?

-Krep

Krep
Junior Coder

Re: VPN w/ Primary/Secondary DNS... weird issue

Post by Krep » Sat May 26, 2018 12:07 am

To be more clear... This is the built-in Windows 10 VPN, actually VPN'd into a local computer on the same LAN.

Krep
Junior Coder

Re: VPN w/ Primary/Secondary DNS... weird issue

Post by Krep » Sun May 27, 2018 5:43 am

Update: this was associated with the Windows 10 Version 1803 patch that just came out a few days ago. When running this patch, plus the built-in Windows 10 VPN client (with or without manually configured DNS), macro-scheduler scripts on my machine slow to a crawl. Reverting to the previous version of Windows 10 solves the problem. I wonder if this might have to do with the new “focus-assist” feature which was reported causing some performance problems with some applications.

For now I’ve disabled this update. Note I’m also running an older copy of macroscheduler so perhaps it is unique to my version.