Slow Execution of msched.exe

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

bquirk

Slow Execution of msched.exe

Post by bquirk » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:14 am

Hello I'm having trouble with the execution speed of scripts on demo version with windows 10

I'm using the command line feature to run scripts from another piece of software and I'm finding that it takes up to 5 seconds between issuing the command ie "msched.exe scriptname" and the script actually starting (which then runs at an acceptable speed)

this delay is present even when just starting msched.exe by itself and all those 5 seconds are really adding up.

I have tried running process monitor to find out what is causing the delay but that just upsets the licencing software.

Any Suggestions ?

JRL
Automation Wizard

Re: Slow Execution of msched.exe

Post by JRL » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:31 pm

A Windows 10 update that occurred about a month ago did the same thing to me. My MS EXEs are running ok but Macro Scheduler starts very slowly, and individual scripts start after a 5 to 10 second delay. Running via the MS menu has no delay. I keep thinking I'll look into it but as yet have not made the time. My suspicion is Windows Defender is causing the delay but that's just a guess. I turned it off and still have the problem but did it really get turned off?

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Post by CyberCitizen » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:23 am

Creators update has been causing issues for a lot of software, are you using creators update?
FIREFIGHTER

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:28 pm

I've seen the term "Creators Update". Have not taken the time to read anything about it. I assume it is bloatware designed to waste my time. I highly doubt it will increase efficiency or through put in the company I work for. Way more likely to do the opposite. How would I know if the "Creators Update" has been installed on my computer without my permission?

I did a stupid SQL selection yesterday that was going to take hours to complete. The only way to stop it was to open Task Manager and kill msched.exe. It was several minutes after restarting Macro Scheduler before it was accessible. I thought it was some anomaly so I closed it (properly) and restarted and it again took several minutes. Our ERP software that used to take only a minute to open now takes about 5 minutes. Oddly, my Microsoft Office products all start in seconds. I still have Windows Defender turned off.

I have long been a Microsoft defender. I even have a Microsoft phone. I love Window 7. Windows 10 is turning my thoughts dark. I administer 200 Windows 7 computers. So very happy I made the decision not to upgrade them. I only upgraded mine so I would know how Win10 worked. Now I worry about the future because the time is coming when the new scary Microsoft OS will be the only option.

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Post by CyberCitizen » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:24 pm

Have to check your windows updates, Microsoft pushed it out but have since stopped it from auto deploying but you can still download manually. A bunch of my ThinApp packages stopped working after the update.
FIREFIGHTER

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Yes.
Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703
Successfully installed on 6/29/2017

Looking HERE I see that version 1703 is also known as the Creators Update.

So if I uninstall will things get back to normal?