Trying to automate checking Three Website using WebRecorder

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

JCUK

Trying to automate checking Three Website using WebRecorder

Post by JCUK » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:40 pm

I'm having a problem trying to script a check on my data usage on the Three website.

Background:
I have rubbish broadband and so use a 3G router with a SIM card from 3.
This works well but has a 15Gb per month limit. Excess over this is charged at £100 per Gb! While there are usage alerts for 3G dongle users, using the SIM in a router means that the alerts don't get through.

I'm writing a macro to log into Three nightly to check my usage and email me when I'm getting close to my limit. I've got the macro working using fairly crude methods (long waits to try to ensure the login screen has completed then CTRL-a and CTRL-c to copy the text content (normal text capture is problematic on a browser) and then searching for text. This approach fails frequently due to timing issues and 3's tendency to change text information. I used MacroScheduler v13 for this.

I thought I could construct a more robust approach using WebRecorder (version 2.5) to populate the login fields and using the tag extraction wizard to grab the usage data. I can't get it to populate the login screen with my userid and password though. I suspect it's not seeing the tags. I've tried to add "Additional Allowed Click Tags" but I can't seem to get the right tags.

The URL that has the login is:
https://www.three.co.uk/My3Account/MBB_PAYM/Allowance

Going through the login sequence generates this code:
// Generated by MacroScript WebRecorder 2.5
// Recorded on Sunday, January 8, 2012, at 04:46 PM
//Move the mouse cursor out of harm's way to avoid causing mouseover events to interrupt
MouseMove>0,0
Let>delay=1
IE_Create>0,IE[5]
IE_Navigate>%IE[5]%,https://www.three.co.uk/My3Account/MBB_PAYM/Allowance,r
IE_Wait>%IE[5]%,r
Wait>delay
IE_Wait>%IE[5]%,r
Wait>delay
IE_Wait>%IE[5]%,r
Wait>delay
IE_Wait>%IE[5]%,r
Wait>delay
IE_Wait>%IE[5]%,r
Wait>delay
Label>end_script

i.e. no sign of populating the login data or clicking the "Log In" button.

I suspect I could make my original macro better using VBScript to launch the browser and check that the page load has completed. I know VBScript can do more to automate IE but that's going beyond my skills...

My PC has Windows 7 (64 bit) and Internet Explorer 9. I'm also using Kaspersky Internet Security 2010. I haven't tried updating this to 2012 or switching it off yet. I don't think it's the source of the problem.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe