"Run when" , "Hot Keys" and Compiler

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

horoscopes2002

"Run when" , "Hot Keys" and Compiler

Post by horoscopes2002 » Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:25 am

Is there any way to make hotkeys work or to schedule a macro to run, when using a compiled script?

Of course I am referring to using this on a pc without MS installed.

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:55 am

Hmm. The board seemed to forget I am me. Just posting here so I can check the email notify box this time around.

aquatech
Site Admin

Post by aquatech » Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:26 am

Create a shortcut on your desktop to the compiled script, and assign that a hotkey is the first thing that comes to mind in terms of solving that one.

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:33 am

To schedule an EXE just use Windows Task Scheduler.

Of course, if you want hotkeys and schedules etc just leave the macro in Macro Scheduler uncompiled.

I'm assuming that you want the EXE on a user's machine which does not have Macro Scheduler? In which case, if you need to schedule it, you could use Windows Task Scheduler, for hot keys use the desktop shortcut idea, or ... dare I suggest it ... tell the user to buy a copy of Macro Scheduler so that they can do all this more easily.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:56 pm

Hmmm, thanks guys. you are correct, it will be on a machine without MS, so I'll have to get them to add it to task scheduler. It sounds a bit "clunky" though, but if it's the only solution it'll have to do.

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Sat Nov 16, 2002 7:36 pm

Why does it sound 'clunky'? That is how you normally schedule any other EXE or application in Windows. Use the Task Scheduler.

If you want full Macro Scheduler functionality then purchase an additional license, or multi-user license and install it on the other machine.

The compiler, compiles the script code into an EXE. That's what compilers do. You can then run it howsoever you wish.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:05 pm

"clunky" cuz I'll be sending soneone the script and then having to give them instructions to autorun with task scheduler rather than having something nice and "all in one".

aquatech
Site Admin

Post by aquatech » Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:58 am

Hororscopes,

I understand where you're coming from in terms of trying to make your life simpler. But, there comes a point where somone has to do something to make such an automatic thing happen, regardless of what tools you are using.

I have one customer over here in Australia with thousands of desktops using Macro Scheduler in this kind of way (and many others as well). What they did was setup an install program (kind of thing) to install Macro Scheduler on each machine, with the scripts required.

Perhaps you could use something like that to help automate the initiation steps on the client machine(s).

Failing that, and in my experience, just having Macro Scheduler on the other machine(s) is the simplest solution all around. Yeah, it will cost some more $'s up front, but so does your time, no?

Every time I'm faced with the decision of spending a few dollars versus spending my time, the choice is always clear for me. I've never got enough time to do all the things I need to do in life as it is :wink:

Hope this helps.

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:06 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I hope my "clunky" comment didn't come across as a complaint, or offensive to anyone, it certainly wasn't meant to be that. I wouldn't be without Macro Scheduler for anything in the world! I have a couple of jobs I need to perform every day, and each one would take me at least 10 hours to do manually - I can do these using MS in about an hour! So, Ms has made an incredible difference to the amount of work I can get done in a day.

My one small dilemna was that I have a couple of scripts which I find very useful, and I know other people in the same business would too, so I wanted to compile the scripts and sell them. I didn't think it was very professional to tell these people "before you use this script you have to do this.. and that... and this...". I know I'd think it was a bit wierd if I paid someoen for something then had loads of "extra instructions". But then again, I suppose that's the difference between a script and a program.

One of my scripts jumps into action at 4am every day, and by the time I get up in the morning everything is there are ready for me - hence the scheduling question.

aquatech
Site Admin

Post by aquatech » Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:08 pm

Horoscopes,

I see what you mean - now I understand your goals better, I'd suggest something else...

MJTNet offer an affiliate program for their products. Perhaps you could someone tie that into your 'offer' if the setup program approach won't work. There are a couple of very good setup apps around for nix.

HTH

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:11 pm

Hi there,

For what it's worth you're in the same boat as any developer. For example - we developed Macro Scheduler. The end result is a file called msched.exe. Now we could send that to all our customers, but as you rightly point out they wouldn't be too impressed. So, we purchased a tool that creates install packages. We use this to package msched.exe up with all the documentation etc and create an install file which creates the shortcuts, file associations etc and allows the user to perform an uninstall.

ALL developers have to do the same. They have to create an install file to make the installation of their application simple and easy. So if you create an exe, whether you use a C++ compiler, Visual Basic or Macro Scheduler, you need to consider how you distribute it.

In any case, if you intend to sell anything, you're going to want to create some documentation and instructions for your users. It goes without saying. Unfortunately Macro Scheduler doesn't know what these are, so you'll have to do this yourself. Sorry.

Anyway, case closed. No point drawing this topic out any further.

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:36 pm

Just a quick note to thank everyone for their help in this matter. As you can probably tell, I'm new to this particular aspect, and your pointers have really helped. :D