compiled script icon questions

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

EnderFFX
Pro Scripter

compiled script icon questions

Post by EnderFFX » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:43 pm

On the icon bar of at the bottom right of most screen, my icon flashes and then the MJT icon flashes. Is it possible to change that so I can set between two different icons so the MJTNet logo doesn't appear?

PepsiHog
Automation Wizard

Post by PepsiHog » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:39 pm

Forget what I had here before. I did some checking, since I was pretty sure I was misunderstanding your question.

What you are talking about is: You compile an exe. You have chosen your icon and specified that icon before compiling your exe.

Now when you run your exe, your icon shows up in the system tray, and it keeps alternating (changing) between your icon and the orange MS icon. You want the MS icon to go away. Or be able to change the orange icon to your own second icon.

Right? Right. Bad news. I have no idea. This sounds like a job for
MJTNET. They can leap tall buildings in a single bound. No.... Really they can. :lol:

But now I want to know too. Come on MJTNET, what of it? We all love you... but we don't want your stink'n logo on our programs.

I want to do some business using MS as my secret tool. But if MS logo is poping up, how can I keep my secret?

PLEASE don't send me to time out. I'm serious, but I'm only playing around. Feel the LOVE.

Maybe you could tell us the HEX address block to zero out in our exe to loose the orange icon. PLEEEEASE.
Last edited by PepsiHog on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 7

PepsiHog. Yep! I drink LOTS of Pepsi (still..in 2024) AND enjoy programming. (That's my little piece of heaven!)

The immensity of the scope of possibilities within Macro Scheduler pushes the user beyond just macros!

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:51 pm

Another compiler option is to choose your own icon file, maybe that's what you are looking for, a different systray icon?

EnderFFX
Pro Scripter

Post by EnderFFX » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:13 pm

PepsiHog wrote:Forget what I had here before. I did some checking, since I was pretty sure I was misunderstanding your question.

What you are talking about is: You compile an exe. You have chosen your icon and specified that icon before compiling your exe.

Now when you run your exe, your icon shows up in the system tray, and it keeps alternating (changing) between your icon and the orange MS icon. You want the MS icon to go away. Or be able to change the orange icon to your own second icon.

Right? Right. Bad news. I have no idea. This sounds like a job for
MJTNET. They can leap tall buildings in a single bound. No.... Really they can. :lol:

But now I want to know too. Come on MJTNET, what of it? We all love you... but we don't want your stink'n logo on our programs.

I want to do some business using MS as my secret tool. But if MS logo is poping up, how can I keep my secret?

PLEASE don't send me to time out. I'm serious, but I'm only playing around. Feel the LOVE.

Maybe you could tell us the HEX address block to zero out in our exe to loose the orange icon. PLEEEEASE.
Yep, this is exactly it.

gdyvig
Automation Wizard

Workaround

Post by gdyvig » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:45 pm

Hi EnderFFX,

This workaround may or may not meet your needs:

When you complile choose your custom icon file and the option to "No system tray" option.

Now you will not the the alternating orange MJTNET icon but you will get your icon in the area where you may restore/minimize applications.

Gale

EnderFFX
Pro Scripter

Re: Workaround

Post by EnderFFX » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:46 pm

gdyvig wrote:Hi EnderFFX,

This workaround may or may not meet your needs:

When you complile choose your custom icon file and the option to "No system tray" option.

Now you will not the the alternating orange MJTNET icon but you will get your icon in the area where you may restore/minimize applications.

Gale
That is the solution I initially came up with. It's a temp fix and doesn't really meet my needs. I understand if the solution is "Tough, that's just how it works!"

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:31 pm

EnderFFX wrote:That is the solution I initially came up with. It's a temp fix and doesn't really meet my needs.
Hi EnderFFX,

You can change the icon that your compiled macro displays so that must be OK.

Are you asking to be able to have the Macro Scheduler app itself show a different icon in the system tray?

I'm not sure what the folks at mjtnet would think of that... and not sure why you'd even want that... as its kind of like running Word but having it display the icon that Excel normally uses... but hey... I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask the question. Is that what you're looking for?
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:25 pm

It's a temp fix and doesn't really meet my needs. I understand if the solution is "Tough, that's just how it works!"
Why is it a temporary fix? Three users now have come up with the same solution to your question "use a different icon" so what are we missing?????

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:27 am

:) Its all a "temp fix" if I'm comprehending THIS ARTICLE correctly.

Sorry I don't have anything genuine to contribute. I've never set an icon to a compiled script, I've never even created an icon. It seems somewhat frivolous for me since all of my programs run in one building. Perhaps someone can make something useful with libfunc> using the Shell_NotifyIcon function.

gdyvig
Automation Wizard

temp fix rephrased using correct terminology

Post by gdyvig » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:17 am

Hi JRL,

I knew "systray" was incorrect, but could not remember the correct name for the bottom of the screen.

Here is my earlier post rephrased more correctly:
When you compile choose your custom icon file and the "No system tray" option.

Now you will not see the orange MJTNET icon and your custom icon alternately flashing in the same spot in the notification area, but you will continue to see your custom icon and window title in the taskbar button to the left.

To answer Me_again's question, EnderFFX's request is similar to a Visual Basic developer not wanting to see the Visual Basic icon in the notification area, but the icon for the developer's product. Also, if you had several applications you may want unique icons in the notification area for each.

Gale

EnderFFX
Pro Scripter

Post by EnderFFX » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:01 pm

Me_again wrote:
It's a temp fix and doesn't really meet my needs. I understand if the solution is "Tough, that's just how it works!"
Why is it a temporary fix? Three users now have come up with the same solution to your question "use a different icon" so what are we missing?????
I'll explain in a day or two! I've been looking for my own solution to the problem. I haven't described the scope of the problem accurately.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:11 pm

You can change the application icon that shows in the task bar and in the title bar of your dialogs. You cannot change the icon that appears in the "system tray" but you can prevent the system tray icon by using the -NOSYSTRAY option.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

EnderFFX
Pro Scripter

Post by EnderFFX » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:26 pm

[quote="mtettmar You cannot change the icon that appears in the "system tray" ....[/quote]

How come? Any plan on allowing this icon to be changed in the future?

More of a curiosity that a request

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Sorry, I was not quite right. You CAN change the application icon and that icon DOES become the main system tray icon also. However, the icon still alternates between that custom icon and the orange Macro Scheduler icon to indicate running. In order to "flash" there must be two icons which are switched in and out. Macro Scheduler alternates between it's blue cog wheel icon - which is the main application one - and the orange one. When you compile your own icon in you are simply replacing the application icon. But the orange one remains.

I guess what you want is to specify an alternative icon so that you can have your own "flashing" animation. And/or an option to disable the flashing altogether.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

jpuziano
Automation Wizard

Post by jpuziano » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:25 pm

EnderFFX wrote:On the icon bar of at the bottom right of most screen, my icon flashes and then the MJT icon flashes. Is it possible to change that so I can set between two different icons so the MJTNet logo doesn't appear?
mtettmar wrote:I guess what you want is to specify an alternative icon so that you can have your own "flashing" animation. And/or an option to disable the flashing altogether.
Hi Marcus,

I'd like to second this enhancement request, thanks EnderFFX for posting about it.
  • 1) ability to specify alternative icon to have our own "flashing" animation

2) option to disable the flashing altogether
Here are some further ideas for added functionality you may want to consider while you're at it:
  • 3) ability to "programmatically" specify the alternative icon would allow us to communicate back to the user by dynamically changing what alt icon is active while the compiled macro runs... a red one might indicate an error condition that needs attention, a green one might indicate all is well, etc.

4) ability to "programmatically" turn the icon flashing on or off as the program runs... again to communicate something to the user... as the flashing will draw the eye much more than just a steady icon.

5) * ability to code a right click menu for the system tray icon, see existing enhancement request:

[Open] Is a Right-Click Menu for System Tray Icon Possible?
* Sadly, if I want this ability today, I have to use something other than Macro Scheduler. Almost any app these days gives you a right click menu on the system tray icon... so it would be nice to have this same ability in our compiled macros. Marcus please consider adding this...
jpuziano

Note: If anyone else on the planet would find the following useful...
[Open] PlayWav command that plays from embedded script data
...then please add your thoughts/support at the above post - :-)