Can exes make log files

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

mrh32

Can exes make log files

Post by mrh32 » Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:10 pm

Hi, I just started compiling my scripts to exes and have noticed that the logfiles, that they created when they were scps are no longer getting made. Is there something I need to do to make them create logs, or is this feature unavailable for exes?

--Matt

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:20 pm

Hi,

As long as you have the latest version you can pass the /LOGFILE command line parameter to your EXE:

yourexe.exe /LOGFILE=somelogfile.txt
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

mrh32

Still not working

Post by mrh32 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:16 pm

Hi, I've tried putting both and c:\testChanged.exe /LOGFILE=c:\somelogfile.txt and c:\testChanged.exe /LOGFILE=somelogfile.txt into the run prompt. Both of these commands make my compiled exe "testChanged.exe" run, but neither of them creates a file named "somelogfile.txt" on my system. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

--Matt

P.S. I'm using MacroScheduler 7.1.16 which I downloaded less than a month ago on Windows 2000.

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:49 pm

Hi,

As I said - you need the latest version. The LOGFILE parameter was added in version 7.1.18. You can get registered updates from http://www.mjtnet.com/dldregd.htm
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

mrh32

It works now

Post by mrh32 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:40 pm

Hi, I downloaded the latest version, and now everything works. I figured that an update was what I needed, but was uncertain because your website offers no easily accessible version number (maybe there is one which has been staring me in the face but I didn't notice it), and you did not include one in your post. I had not expected that you would have updated your software in under a month and thus did not go through all the trouble to request a new download (trouble for me because purchasing bought our copy of Macro Scheduler, and thus it is their e-mail address which is that of the registered user). Anyways, the main point is, that now it works and I am impressed at your rapid devlopement time. Keep up the good work, but maybe document it, or respond a little more obviously.

--Matt

support
Automation Wizard

Post by support » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:54 pm

Hi,

Sorry, I should have included the actual version number in my first post.

Anyway, just so that you know in future:

a) The very first page of our website displays the latest version number (So I'm not sure how you missed it!)

b) This links to the what's new history page with a complete version history.

c) Update announcements appear in these forums in the announcements section - and there's a history there.

d) There's a sample script that comes with Macro Scheduler which will download the latest version number and tell you what the latest version is.

e) If you want to change the email address registered in our database, just email [email protected] and ask - it's gonna be a whole lot easier if you can download it yourself rather than ask the purchasing dept.

When someone reports a bug or suggests a new feature, more often than not, we fix or add it immediately and release a new update. We prefer to do that as opposed to making people wait for 6 months for their bug fix. We prefer to keep Macro Scheduler constantly updated and respond to user feedback as it happens. That's why there was a release so soon after the one you already had. However, we won't email everyone each time there is a minor update as we don't wish to upset people (believe it or not even people who have subscribed and purchased and requested update announcements accuse us of spamming them when we tell them about a bug fix!) so we only send out emails when there is a major version, or a significant update. Instead, we have the latest version number on the front page of our website, in the what's new section, and we post an update announcement here on the forums.

FYI the next release - 7.2 - will be released sometime in April - all being well.
MJT Net Support
[email protected]

Captive
Macro Veteran

Post by Captive » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:28 pm

However, we won't email everyone each time there is a minor update as we don't wish to upset people (believe it or not even people who have subscribed and purchased and requested update announcements accuse us of spamming them when we tell them about a bug fix!) so we only send out emails when there is a major version, or a significant update.
I miss those emails *sniff*.

Ooo, I was about to ask how we can be notified when a new minor release is published, then remembered that "FTP & Read File Example" script that comes with MSched.

I'm going to attempt to combine that script with the new %MSCHED_VER% variable you kindly included.

Is there a way we can subscribe to the "important announcements" forum, and/or get emails from it?

Grovkillen
Automation Wizard

Re: Can exes make log files

Post by Grovkillen » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:54 am

This is truly a hidden gem of MS.

Thanks Marcus for finding this for me (trust me I did search the forum...) :roll: :D
Let>ME=%Script%

Running: 15.0.24
version history

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Re: Can exes make log files

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:51 pm

Glad you found it. :)

Kind regards,

Dorian.
Yes, we have a Custom Scripting Service. Message me or go here