GetTextInit hangs

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

IanA

GetTextInit hangs

Post by IanA » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:44 pm

Hello all.

I've starting seeing an odd issue with GetTextInit causing a compiled script to hang.
What's most annoying is that it works fine in not just other scripts, but even in this same one at a different point. Also, this used to work without issue - I had to update some unrelated part of the scripts and suddenly have this problem.

Troubleshooting points worth sharing:
  • Running uncompiled works fine
  • Confirmed Init is the problem by flanking it with messages like so:

Code: Select all

messagemodal>Init start
GetTextInit
messagemodal>Init done
This is part of a subroutine that is called to twice in the script. While troubleshooting, I am bypassing the other instance where it is used, which:
  • Happens earlier in the script
  • Still works as expected when compiled
Adding delays before and after didn't seem to have any effect.
Compiled version checked on multiple computers. All running Windows 10 Pro.

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Re: GetTextInit hangs

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:39 pm

I'm unable to replicate this in 15.0.21.

The only thing I can think of is you're not copying the DLLs when you compile, or not moving them with your EXE.

When compiling, are you checking the "copy runtime DLLs" checkbox and then ensuring all those files are located wherever you may move the exe to?

Or if you're using an old version are you able to try it in the trial version (download here) with the trial compiler (download here)?

Are you 100% sure your udating of something unrelated isn't inadvertently causing the issue? Do you have a backup of the old one?
Yes, we have a Custom Scripting Service. Message me or go here

IanA

Post by IanA » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:56 pm

I just double-checked, and it is set to copy DLLs, though it doesn't actually seem to need any.
The update was to correct for network restructuring, so while I do have backups, the network locations they rely on no longer exist.
The confounding thing for me is that it's just this one instance of calling GetTextInit that's problematic, all others continue to work.

I'm using version 14.3, so I'll give the new one a shot.

IanA

Post by IanA » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:43 pm

Recompiled with the v15 trial - no improvement.
This was done on a different computer since I was immediately hit with a "Trial expired" warning when trying to open the new one - I must have installed it at some point in the past.
Now that I've uninstalled the trial, I no longer have the "Edit" option in the context menu for scp files, so I guess I'll have to reinstall v14 now. Can you point me to where I can find a v14.4.03 installer?

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:13 pm

You'll find that in the User Area.

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:16 pm

IanA wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:56 pm
I just double-checked, and it is set to copy DLLs, though it doesn't actually seem to need any.
It certainly should need them. If I remove those files I get a multitude of errors when running the compiled exe.

IanA

Post by IanA » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:30 pm

There are no DLLs alongside any of the versions of this exe, but that it likely because our scripts are highly modularized, so the DLLs are with the other scripts we call to.

I also reinstalled v14.4.03 and still don't have the context menu entry. The v15 uninstaller appears to have merely deleted the uninstall.exe and left everything else behind.

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:28 am

I've double checked this with dev, and he confirms the dlls are required. GetTextInit loads the DLL. So there will be problems if the dlls aren’t with the exe. So maybe that would be a starting point.

Regarding the context menu, I am guessing you mean when you right-click an scp file? It sounds like when you installed the trial you didn't select the option to create file associations, so I suggest running the v14 installer again and making sure to select it.