Copy Let assignment option to watchlist menu

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Heinz57
Junior Coder

Copy Let assignment option to watchlist menu

Post by Heinz57 » Tue May 03, 2022 5:15 am

Hello,

I have been trying in vain to find any detailed information on an addition to the latest release 15.0.20 as stated in the version history:
- Added: Copy Let assignment option to watchlist menu (creates Let>variable=value on clipboard)

No results on your website index or search, no results on Google either. Nothing found about "watchlist" or "watch list".

Could you please be so kind and point me to any details on this feature.

Thank you!

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Re: Copy Let assignment option to watchlist menu

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Tue May 03, 2022 8:12 am

When you're debugging in the editor the second tab in the left pane is "Watch List". This is where you'll see your variables appear as the script runs through.

For example if your script contains this :

Code: Select all

XLGetCell>xlh,Sheet1,1,1,Something
In the watchlist you'll see this :

0: SOMETHING=Hello
You can right click on this and see a variety of options. "Copy Let Assignment" is a new option, and in this example will put the following on your clipboard :

Let>SOMETHING=Hello
Yes, we have a Custom Scripting Service. Message me or go here

Heinz57
Junior Coder

Post by Heinz57 » Tue May 03, 2022 10:07 am

Hello and thank you,

this was a classical example of a far too short wording by an expert in a subject who cannot imagine that a layman in this same subject would not understand what he means especially if this layman uses a product rather rarely.

Some simple addition like "watchlist in the editor" would have clarified this plus, or course, an addition to the search and index where all used terms should ideally be listed and explained.

But thank you for the quick reply
and best regards

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Tue May 03, 2022 10:34 am

It is there.

If you go to the search in the online manual "watch list" returns six results.

The first one mentions the Watch List (and links to the third one - "Using the Debugger"), The second one is another version of the first one, and the third one contains a description of the watch list.
Show Watch List.
Displays a list to the left hand side of the editor containing all current script variables and their values - updates as they change. This is the most useful debugging device as you can see the values of variables as they are set. By default the watch list shows the most recently modified variable at the top of the list. Or you can sort the watch list by right clicking and selecting "Sort". Right clicking on an item allows you to copy the line or just the variable value to the clipboard. You can also search for a variable or value by typing a value into the search bar at the top of the watch list.
Yes, we have a Custom Scripting Service. Message me or go here

Heinz57
Junior Coder

Post by Heinz57 » Tue May 03, 2022 10:59 am

Well,

I do not want to continue a discussion of formal aspects, but I did this search for both cases and I write this here only as a hint how some brains work:

In the version history it was written as "watchlist" with nothing found in the search and, true, for "watch list" there are six references all on very different topics.

But being betrayed and lied to regularly by false Google positives, my brain considered these six topics as totally different subjects not assuming that what I was searching for is ONLY mentioned in other topics but not one in own rights.

Let's leave it at that and
Best regards